back to article Garden fertilised by Twitter output wins Gold at Chelsea

A garden conceived by an alliance of psychologists, architects and professors of "social computing" - and enabled by the wondrous power of Twitter - has won a gold medal at the Chelsea Flower Show. This is how the garden goes: The garden is divided diagonally by an autonomous-panelled screen which separates the planting of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. MrT

Interesting idea...

...and by not actually show the content of the tweets it neatly avoids the snafu that Starbucks made with their attempt at the Natural History Museum.

OTOH there's always the chance to set the wall flapping away with a well-timed tweetstorm as some dignitary steps up for a close look - thinking of Total Wipeout's 'sucker punch' wall there...

2. Ken Y-N
    Alert

What it really should have is a great big Twitter bird with a muck-spreader attachment below responding to the frequency of tweets, so the garden really is fertilized by Twitter.

As a bonus, I'm sure they'd also be in the running for the Biggest Marrow competition after a couple of days.

3. Amorous Cowherder
    Facepalm

I'm all for new tech and interesting ideas, and apologies in advance if I'm wrong but somehow this seems like just another bell-end designer riding the "I must use Twitter/FaceBook/YouTube for something so I can get attention for myself!" syndrome!

1. Shasta McNasty
      WTF?

Agreed. I look at this idea and the only thought it provokes is "What is the fucking point of this?"

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yeah, and there weren't any photos of the damn thing either!

4. Haku
    Coat

I knew there was a lot of shit on twitter,

but I didn't realise it had gotten to such epidemic proportions that it was spilling out into the real world and fertilising gardens!

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. John Robson Silver badge

Fail:

“One of the things we’re trying to do through our research is to understand how digital media can be made to meaningfully intersect with the physical world," explains Shaun Lawson, Professor of Social Computing at Lincoln.

Unless of course this in an Edison moment...

"I've not failed, just found 10,000 ways not to make a better light bulb"

7. Gav
    Go

Undignified

Does the Chelsea flower show actually do "buzzes of excitement", on Twitter or anywhere else?

It all sounds rather undignified and vulgar for such a genteel affair. How about ripples of appreciation? Or does Twitter not do them?

8. Yag

I'm getting old...

I almost thought that the description of the thing actually made sense.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If it's about the internet experience...

...are there marrows.and melons in abundance?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Water features

They should have borrowed the David Černý animated figures water feature from Prague. Apparently you can send them an SMS message which they will write on the surface of the pond..

(NSFW?) http://www.flickr.com/photos/justageek/4884343196/

There was also that clever falling drops water feature that showed trending words.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like