back to article Breaking news, LITERALLY: Financial Times vandalized by hackers

The Financial Times website and its Twitter accounts were this afternoon hijacked by pro-government hackers from the "Syrian Electronic Army". The posh broadsheet's Tech Blog - at http://blogs.FT.com/beyond-brics - was compromised to run stories headlined "Syrian Electronic Army Was Here" and "Hacked by the Syrian Electronic …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. David 164

Why were the posts remove, they were just reporting rebels crimes in Syrian civil and informing FT viewers of videos of rebels crimes exists on Youtube, something the FT should be doing themselves, if they weren't pandering to their own ideologies that the rebels can do no wrong, and giving the rebels 100% backing with little to no criticism.

1. nuked
      Holmes

"Why were the posts remove(sic)"

Errm, probably due to them being uploaded by hackers.

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

David 164,

The posts were removed for the very obvious reason that they were put up there illegally.

As to the rest of your comment, you're completely wrong. There has been heavy coverage of the rebels' crimes in the UK press. I can't speak for the FT, because I don't think I've read a single piece from them on Syria. But there's been extensive coverage on the BBC (both domestic and World Service), the Telegraph, the Independent and the Guardian - which are the only places I can remember going to get news about Syria. There was a story covered by everyone 2 days ago of some Jihadist loony putting up a video of him cutting out the heart of one soldier they'd killed and eating a bit.

The reason that the West haven't decided to arm the rebels is because of the fact that some of them are jihadis. Although others would argue that not many of them were jihadis at the beginning, and perhaps if we'd armed the more sensible rebels, they wouldn't have needed to accept help from the jihadis - who already had guns. The Gulf states are arming the rebels (possibly with help from the CIA / SIS so the rumours say), and I don't know which groups they're arming.

However the regime are also partly responsible for the jihadis in their midst. It was they who welcomed Al Qaeda in - when they were fighting the sectarian war in Iraq. They were smuggling arms, fighters and suicide bombers into the Sunni area, over the Syrian border. I'm sure the Assad regime thought this was very convenient.

Unfortunately as the Iraqi Sunnis found, along with many before and since (including Assad), you can't trust Al Qaeda. They may offer help, but they're don't give a fuck about the people they claim to support, they're only interested in whatever it is their ideology actually seems to call for. Something they're never all that clear about. Other than the Caliphate, the end of Israel, and death to everyone who they don't like the look of with particular emphasis on death to the West of course.

They killed more Sunnis in Iraq than they managed to kill Americans and Shia, and the Sunnis ended up having to kick them out. They turned against the Syrian regime who'd sheltered them, which is probably why the Syrian government lost control of the whole area round the Iraqi border pretty early on in the conflict.

Anyway, as always, it's complicated. The West aren't giving the rebels 100% backing without criticism. As even a cursory following of the news for the last 2 years would tell you.

1. asdf
        Thumb Up

wow

Wow well said Spartacus. Pretty sad how the West and especially the US is getting blamed by both sides for not doing enough or doing too much. Assad is a butcher just like his dad before him but the US leadership has finally learned its lesson on you break you bought it and wants nothing to do with the hundred billion plus dollars its going to take to reconstruct and keep Syria from becoming a failed state even after all this crap ends. Our own nation needs some building and we are broke.

1. Gordon Pryra

Re: wow

He is not Spartacus

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
            Happy

Re: wow

No. I'm not Spartacus. And neither is my wife...

3. NomNomNom

Sorry to say it but David 164 has a point.

The FT has displayed a clear bias towards the rebels, only reporting the alleged (and highly questionable) misbehavior of a few rotten apples among government forces. Meanwhile scant attention is given to the real crimes of the rebels themselves. For example only last month the rebels led an assault on the forest moon of Endor that resulted in the death of a full division of government soldiers. The FT reported this but failed to mention that the rebels had made use of Ewoks. The use of Ewoks is prohibited under section IV of the Geneva Convention.

1. Don Jefe

The FT is one of the most biased news organizations on the planet. They go to great lengths to upscale their image but they regularly publish mind numbing drivel on par with Fox News.

The Ewoks were acting under their own volition. Their goals simply happened to coincide with those of the rebels. At no point did the Ewoks accept any assistance, supplies, or intelligence from 3rd parties.

4. Psyx
      WTF?

So if I scrawl constructive criticism of the latest Dan Brown book on the front of your house and over your car bonnet with brake fluid, it should be allowed to stay there?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Must be Dumb and Dumber

These people are begging to be in prison.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Must be Dumb and Dumber

oh, they'll be lucky if that's all they get, as the Onion pointed out... http://www.theonion.com/articles/syrian-electronic-army-has-a-little-fun-before-ine,32324/

2. asdf

Re: Must be Dumb and Dumber

>These people are begging to be in prison.

Well its not like Assad is going to do the west any favors but considering the current state of his country with many areas without electricity some of these hackers are probably based in the West in which case they better watch their back.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hey Dan

" Ideally network monitoring solutions should also be put in place to alert an organisation when a user system connects to a known bad actor on the internet as this may indicate a compromise"

And you'd just happen to have such a list would you Dan? Must be a killer f***ing list mate, a fully complete list of all bad actors on the internet.

Maybe he just means a hyperlink to IMDB's page on Jack Black?

I'm pretty certain his list is about as much use.

Twonk

4. ecofeco Silver badge
    Meh

Speechless

I guess no one is safe, eh?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Speechless

Oh, I don't know. It's always been a leftie rag at the editorial level. People only buy it for the financial stuff.

5. LinkOfHyrule
    Joke

What's pink and hard first thing in the morning...

...the Financial Times crossword after the Syrian Electronic Army has hacked it to make all the answers "Syrian Electronic Army woz 'ere 2013"

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I see prison bars in their future

Denial hasn't worked too well for A$$nonymous.

7. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Joke

I reckon it's Assad himself.

Like Haigh he's a bit of a Tefalhead

8. The Alpha Klutz

get ur comments in

this shit is bananas

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like