back to article Western Digital profits down despite revenue rise

Revenues for disk drive industry leader Western Digital's third fiscal 2013 quarter rose 24 per cent to $3.8 billion – compared to $3 billion a year ago – but profits fell 19 per cent. It's a hard life in the disk drive business. The previous quarter's revenues were $3.8 billion too; no change there, then. Third-quarter …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. BillG
    FAIL

Failure

The only hard drives I've had failures with is Western Digital. Last one failed SMART only three weeks ago, and I was lucky to transfer only 2.8GB of data to a USB 2.0 drive (which took 45 minutes) before the drive completely failed. Their reputation sucks.

I replaced it with s Seagate.

1. kb
      FAIL

Re: Failure

And you'll be lucky if the Seagate lasts a month pal, that is what happens when you end up with a duopoly, quality goes down the crapper. this is why I tell anybody getting a hard drive that the first thing they need to do is stress test the hack out of it, because I'd say a good 1 in 4 are coming off the line junk.

1. Marcelo Rodrigues
        Happy

Is it really this bad? I have been using Seagates on the desktops (about 20 of them, with a service life of 3 years) for the last... six years, I'd say. I believe ONE of them failed me - and was a SMART alert, not a suddenly dead disk.

Maybe I'm lucky... :D

2. BillG
        Go

Seagates are great. For a laptop, grab the Momentus 7200.3. Stay away from the 7200.4.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. ecofeco Silver badge
    Joke

A product that only looks good when compared to....

...Hitachi.

4. YARR
    Trollface

Is it just me...

.... or do those graphs show the beginnings of a hard drive pricing cartel since the floods?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like