back to article Sony joins iWear face-off

The battle to secure consumers' eyeballs with as-yet-unreleased products offering not-yet-defined capabilities is set to intensify with Sony filling patent applications for – go on, guess – wearable computers. From the patent application, US 20130069850, we learn that Sony has no scant for battery life and wants to use both …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Where's Mario?

I imagine everyone will be trying to put forth their version of these glasses, but if you physically have to wear them, they will become a trend and just die off. For example, Nintendo's Virtual Boy. All those VR games in the early 90's. Even the thing that its name escapes me that you would view pictures in. They all have one thing in common, trendy. A bifocal kinetoscope has been tried for over a 100 years, but people just don't want to wear them. However, perverts will love them.

Damn, what is that thing called that you view pictures in and press a lever to rotate the disc?

1. Eddy Ito
      Childcatcher

Re: Where's Mario?

Holy crap, talk about a flood of youthful memories. You're talking about a ViewMaster.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

ViewMaster, thank you!

I'm going to put Velcro on a ViewMaster, slap a Google sticker on it, and walk downtown...just flat out strut my stuff! Every time someone looks at me for the looser I am, I'll just press the lever. DELETE!

2. Grikath

you mean a Viewmaster?

I still have one stashed in a box somewhere.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Looks

Looks like the glasses that my dad wore in the 1970's

4. LarsG
      Meh

Eye strain

Has anyone actually done a study on how wearing these things may cause eye strain and headaches?

Will they come with a disclaimer, 'do not wear continually for more,than 15 minutes at a time' or 'may cause seizures if worn continually' or better still 'do not wear if driving, danger of death'.

1. Richard Chirgwin (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Eye strain

A study, no. I asked Australia's ophthalmologists' professional body about this. Their answer was that since the "glasses" project their images "at infinite distance" there shouldn't be a problem.

Since optometry and ophthalmology instruments employ the same trick for some testing instruments, I decided to accept that answer.

Richard Chirgwin

The Register

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

(all your brain are belong to us)

I bet it tries to beam a rootkit into your brain.

3. frank ly

"...LG also hopes to attach itself both to eyeballs and to arms,..."

As a parasite or as a symbiote, or just a helpful friend?

1. reno79
      Alien

Re: "...LG also hopes to attach itself both to eyeballs and to arms,..."

We're only a few steps away from brain slugs becoming a reality.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"As a parasite or as a symbiote, or just a helpful friend?"

Your Plastic Pal who's Fun to be with!

Dreadful, isn't it.

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Joke

"or just a helpful friend?"

"It looks like you are trying to wank. Would you like a hand with that?"

4. ecofeco Silver badge
    WTF?

Sony?

Are they even relevant any more?

5. MrT

Big...

"Does my bum look through in this?" - no, unless you're wearing them in a really low-slung way...

6. JaitcH
    Happy

Pity the sore ears of the users ...

as I discovered with a pair of enhanced eyewear a couple of years ago.

The electronics buried in the temples (the things that go over your ears) was so heavy that I, and other users, developed sores/hard skin patches above the ear. It is essential that the cords/wires connecting them to the outer world. Maybe new electronics will reduce this load.

We found the Bangkok bar girl trick (snatch and run) was easily thwarted by using "granny strings" attached to the end of the temples - making cute loops would be a real winner.

This topic is closed for new posts.