back to article Jennifer Lopez gets you more Facebook friends than Iron Maiden

Liking Jennifer Lopez will get you more Facebook friends than Iron Maiden, straight men like professional wrestling more often than they like Glee, and Mormons are more agreeable than fans of Timmy from South Park. That's just a grab-bag from research just published at the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Bumpy Cat
    Trollface

Acid test

Does it confirm that Marmite-lovers also lack all sense of taste and smell?

Does it confirm that IE users smell of wee?

Can it estimate shoe size from photos?

2. Steven Raith
    Joke

Hmm.

Information about you...reveals information about you.

Welcome to Tautology Club.

The first rule of Tautology club is the first rule of Tautology club.

( (c) XKCD, of course.)

Steven R

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

Re: Hmm.

Exactly, all stuff for the "Scientists Now Know" corner of Annals of Improbable Research, home of the Ig Nobel prizes (and the judges will be spoiled for choice (again)).

3. pixl97
    Trollface

Of course

> Mormons are more agreeable than fans of Timmy from South Park.

That's because they want to draw you in close. Next thing you know you're locked in a basement of some cult in Utah with 10 other families with 6 wives each. Be wary of those who smile too big.

4. MrMur
    Stop

FB acting all coy...

Ofcourse, Facebook knew this already because it's a valuable input into the targetted advertising machine.

5. Katie Saucey
    Thumb Up

"Jennifer Lopez gets you more Facebook friends than Iron Maiden"

I should hope so, us Maiden fans aren't made for sitting around on Facefail or Twitting..We're out rocking the fuck out! (when not posting here that is).

1. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

Re: "Jennifer Lopez gets you more Facebook friends than Iron Maiden"

Wow, rocking out. The 80's just called - they want their catchphrase back...

1. Eric Hood

Somewhat appropriate for a band that peaked in the 80s

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> Wow, rocking out. The 80's just called - they want their catchphrase back...

...says the person about whom a similar comment will be made in 20-30 years.

1. Katie Saucey
          Stop

..come on , what do you define your '00 etc version of "rocking out" as? Iron Maiden had/has talent, more than the current pop fuck-wads do today.......God damn it.. I just realised this is the definition of old!! Fine I hate all you guys...etc. grrr , lucky I need to work etc...

1. Vic

> Iron Maiden had/has talent, more than the current pop fuck-wads do today

...Although one too many guitars on stage for my taste these days. It's getting cluttered.

Vic.

2. EyeCU
            Joke

@Katie

#uptheirons

3. Allan George Dyer
        Paris Hilton

The 80's? So, did you warn them about sub-prime mortgages, the Indian Ocean tsunami and the Fukashima disaster your Lordship? ((c) xkcd, of course)

2. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

That may be so, but do you really need such "friends"?

6. P. Lee
    Black Helicopters

Wow!

It seems that a lot of people don't have a specific fb account they use to try to get free stuff.

Why would you "like" anything?

I suppose the point of the story is not the correlation engine - I could guess that most wrestling fans are probably not gay, or that people who are fond of in-your-face behaviour have tend not to have as many relationships as those who like JLo. The point is that its probably quite opaque to most users what "liking" something actually does. It is presented as an analogy to exclaiming "I like it" while at your computer, but that isn't what's happening at all.

On the plus side, the correlation results appear to be so inane as to be relatively harmless.

Maybe that's the cunning plan...

1. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Corinne

This is one reason why I don't ever use the "like" button - not that I use FB all that much anyway, never post & just read other's updates every week or so.

But it would be interesting to know how they would categorise me if I DID use the "like" button, with interests as varied as miniature poodles, cars, cricket, ancient history, american football, paintball, horses......

8. frank ly

The obvious next stages ...

... are to use the results of this study to make a FB assessor utility (maybe on a website) where you give it your FB user name and it will tell you the results of analysing your 'Likes'. Then, the FB spin-doctor utility can be introduced: this will modify your Likes to give you the analysis results that you want to present to the world.

Eventually, everybody on FB will disappear up their own backside as they spiral down the rabbit hole of analysis and modification.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Paris Hilton

Re: The obvious next stages ...

This is an excellent idea for people who have foolishly used Facebook before realising how evil it is; a profile sanitiser. But there is no risk to their revenues; there are enough deluded people out there who think that "liking" some brand or celebrity somehow validates their pointless, hollow existence to keep Facebook going for quite a while.

Paris, because she exactly exemplifies what all this is about.

9. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

You are what you Like

But

Young man says you are what you eat - eat well.

Old man says you are what you wear - wear well.

You know what you are, you don't give a damn;

Bursting your belt that is your homemade sham.

Also

I know what I like, and I like what I know;

getting better in your wardrobe, stepping one beyond your show.

How many friends will that make me on Facepuke?

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

OMG!

Zuckerberg was here and downvoted my post! 8-()

10. AbelSoul

No longer sure...

... whether to click the 'Like' button for this article......

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But would you...

Want to be friends with anyone that has such poor taste as liking Jennifer Lopez?

That's like being a fan of the mid range model of a mid range car.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like