back to article iPhone-maker Foxconn not gonna save Sharp

iPhone-maker Hon Hai Precision Industry, better known as Foxconn, will not come to the rescue of floundering Japanese manufacturers Sharp, says Reuters. Sharp will have to look to itself to save its wilting electronics manufacturing business, says Reuters' unnamed source. Sharp had asked the Taiwanese bits-maker Hon Hai for a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

WTF?

Japanese electronics company begging Chinese electronics company for cash? What's next - the prime minister of Britain trying to persuade India to create stronger business ties with the UK?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: WTF?

You are funny Andy and I don't think you know the prime minister of Britain very well. Perhaps you should have used the "Joke Alert". Now that Jaguar and Land Rower are Indian perhaps there is not that much to sell anymore. Outsourcing the navy perhaps. If you find things disturbing then you have been asleep for a long time or just born not so long ago.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>"You are funny Andy and I don't think you know the prime minister of Britain very well. Perhaps you should have used the "Joke Alert"."

Yes - it was my poor attempt at a joke. Like saying, "What are you going to tell me next? That the US doesn't need any Middle East oil?" -- Which is true - the US now only gets 13% of its oil from the Persian Gulf, and could easily do without it altogether, as Canada, Latin America and the US' own supplies now account for 73%. (http://www.npr.org/2012/04/11/150444802/where-does-america-get-oil-you-may-be-surprised).

Just very interesting how radically times can change.

2. Chris D Rogers
      FAIL

Since when has Foxconn been a Chinese company, which would be news not only to its shareholders, but also Taiwan.

Foxconn is a Taiwanese company with assembly operations on the Chinese Mainland, whilst I concur its senior management are in the majority Han Chinese, the fact remains that Taiwan is a democratic Republic, whilst Mainland China is an Authoritarian supposed Communist state.

As for issues afflicting Japanese electronics businesses, I'm confident they will be able to re-invent themselves.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Ironically you got that the wrong way around.

Taiwan is an authoritative state that masquerades as a democratic one, whilst mainland China really is a democratic state (sure you might not like their definition of democracy but it is one!).

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

AC says:

Yep, that's the times we are living. The West is going down fast...

1. tonysmith

Re: AC says:

Only if the west loses it's science/engineering base...if that happens and the east keeps going in those terms which it could as it's cheaper for them then yes.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: AC says:

China will become the number one economy surpassing the EU very soon. That does not mean every other economy has disappeared. The volume of China is just immense and that is where we have invested our money.

3. JaitcH
    Unhappy

Whoops! There goes another ...

Apple screen supplier.

It might have to buy screens from Samsung yet. How humiliating would that be?

4. Paul 135

As much as I despise them...

... and all the boring fanboi talk about what crApple should do next...

... would it not actually make sense for Apple to buy Sharp outright? They are rich enough to do so with mountains of cash that they don't know what to do with, and it would give them an even stronger foothold in the consumer electronics industry (TVs etc.) as well as control of a major component supplier.

I am really surprised I have not heard the fanbois bleat this option yet! As much as I despise them, I'd welcome this move as it would save one of the old stalwarts of the electronics industry. Certainly better than the many other exploitative uses that crApple could use all that cash for.

1. FutureShock999

Re: As much as I despise them...

And it would also stop the Apple minority shareholders from filing lawsuits claiming that Apple is sitting on too much of it's cash. Oh, no it wouldn't. But it is STILL a good move for Apple I think - Sharp's screens are very good (they used to make some of the best LCD TVs), and it always gives them a non-Samsung option.

2. Andy Fletcher

Re: As much as I despise them...

I doubt it - I don't think Apple have any interest in actually producing their own hardware. Google clearly don't given the number of different OEMs they're using for the Nexus line. These companies know control over users, not manufacturing is key to future success. It's not nice, but it's the truth. While I'd be a tad sorry to see Sharp disappear, if they're no longer able to compete, it's going to happen.

5. chrisintaipei

some facts are missing

Foxconn wants controlling stake and possibly a seat on the board which Sharp doesn't want to give hence the drag.

6. Chad H.

Never gunna save you sharp

Fraid we're gunna turn you down

Fraid we're gunna turn around and desert you.

1. Michael Habel
      Stop

HAY YOU STOP THAT!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like