back to article Mobes with monster 72-core GPU to debut in China

Nvidia’s supercharged quad-core Tegra 4 SoC, which packs a mighty 72 GPU cores, has finally found a mobile home after handset maker ZTE announced new smartphones featuring the chip will debut in China in the first half of 2013. The Tegra 4 was unveiled last month at CES but has so far been left to stand at the altar by the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. An nonymous Cowerd
    Happy

Tegra 4i

I'm looking forward to the Tegra 4i, (which is more related to the Tegra 3 than the Tegra 4; The Tegra 4i has similar QuadCore plus the lite CPU to the Tegra 4, but they're ~2GHz Cortex A9 cores; the 4i manages to lose 12 graphic cores - down to just 60...... something else needs that tiny space on the silicon)

So why do I look forward to the 4i?, well it's explained as featuring an British designed Icera software defined radio as part of the SoC single chip package.

SDR History: Icera made a '450 Espresso' HSPA+ modem in 2011 thruput-28MBPS, an Icera 410 LTE Modem thruput-50MBPS (which gained AT&T LTE certification) in 2012, now this upcoming QuadCore Tegra 4i SDR will debut at 100MBPS and will be upgradeable to around 150MBPS LTE/4G.

The Tegra 4i is is expected to power mid-range Android smartphones manufactured in 2014

2. Ben 56

How quaint

Today's monster GPU is just tomorrow's "how quaint", how right Scottie was we wouldn't be using a keyboard.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wonder how this stacks against Intel

Anyone know how this stacks up against Intel's HD4000 GPU ?

4. shaolin cookie
    WTF?

"Improved web browsing and app download times are also promised by Nvidia."

The rendering speed would give a boost to web browsing, but how exactly do these cores speed up app downloads? Wouldn't that only depend on the network?

5. Steve Todd

Sadly 72 nVidia GPU cores

Still can't keep up with 4 PowerVR cores, and they are still way behind the curve in terms of software support (DirectX 9, no OpenCL etc).

If anyone is interested in comparing performance the Nexus 10 tablet contains the Tegra 4 and has been benchmarked already. The A15 CPUs are fast, but power hungry. The GPU is a little behind the curve compared to the older PowerVR SGX5XT series and gets stomped on by the SGX6 series.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sadly 72 nVidia GPU cores

>If anyone is interested in comparing performance the Nexus 10 tablet contains the Tegra 4

Not a Exynos 5 Dual + Mali-T604 then?

Could it be you have no idea of what you speak?

1. Steve Todd

My mistake about the Nexus 10, it uses 2 A15 CPUs (so you should be able to use it for CPU speed comparisons) but the Mali 604 as stated. And no, I wasn't wrong about GPU power and lack of software support, it's still a DirectX 9 part.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

In other words Mr Todd, you open your mouth before reading facts.

6. Nick Ryan Silver badge

HDR?

Maybe I'm missing something here... but why would 72 cores "allow" HDR? AFAIK that's a function of the camera sensor and its control chip and not graphics cores as such. The graphics cores if the processing or camera software is written to take advantage may make the raw image processing more efficient, but that's it.

1. Androgynous Crackwhore
      Childcatcher

Re: HDR?

I think that was the point. Consumer "HDR" typically involves taking a rapid sequence of images at different exposures then crudely stacking them into one weird-looking ugly haloed JPEG for the consumer to shove onto FB or Flkr and wow their friends. The crude automated stacking step takes a bit of grunt.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: HDR?

As opposed to professional HDR? Give it a break sonny. Seriously some people need to pull it out their ass.

The worst thing about all this technology is that it's getting to the point where it's all become "seen that" ... "not that again" because it's simply too easy to be as good as a professional (if you've got the eye and patience). Of course the only criteria for 'professional' status is that someone once paid them, which isn't really saying much these days.

Kind of like the monkeys on the typewriter.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like