back to article Chromebook app launcher touted to Chrome browser users

Further blurring the line between desktop computers, laptops and mobile gadgets, Google has stuffed the app launcher from its Chromebook into its desktop Chrome web browser. Chrome app launcher Ta-da. That's it. The program launcher, basically a little window to run packaged JavaScript apps within the browser, looks just …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Silverburn
    Thumb Up

This...actually has promise. From my lowly "user" perspective.

2. h3

I totally don't want this. Chrome is acting more and more malware like all the time.

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge
      Facepalm

We can't post images directly, but this one expresses my thoughts quite nicely.

1. hplasm
        WTF?

Re:This one

You think you are Jackie Chan?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

How is malware to have a user interface for running the applications that you told chrome to install locally?

1. h3

Won't be long before they are popping up ad's in the taskbar.

1. Craigness
          Trollface

Apo'strophe

The plural of ad is ads.

3. Day
      WTF?

I would never use software that acted even a little bit like malware. Why do you use Chrome?

3. 1Rafayal
    Coat

Eadon, can you please confirm that this is an EPIC WINDOWS FAIL or not.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Well, seeing it doesn't run on Linux or Macs...

1. davidp231

Yet...

4. Dig

deja vu

Microsoft had it right at windows 3.1 it seems with the programming manager

1. Craigness

Re: deja vu

Apple invented the grid of icons in 2007. Program Manager did not exist.

2. Mark .

Re: deja vu

I was going to say - "looks just like a phone home screen"? - looks just like any computer screen back before the introduction of things like start menus... My Amiga had a grid of coloured icons in 1985 :)

(Also still looks like most people's Windows desktops.)

5. Mark .

ChromeOS looks more like a "real" OS

Despite being "just a browser", if I can launch applications directly, if I can install them and run them offline, that pretty much makes it as useful an OS for most people - who cares if behind the scenes it's mostly done in HTML5. And with Google Native Client, it's possible to write applications in languages like C++ (with a HTML5 front end, similar to how Android does native languages with Java). You don't even need a Chromebook - ChromiumOS is Free.

From a development point of view, using HTML5 (with Native Client if you'd rather stick with C++) looks an increasingly useful way to write portable code across Windows, OS X, Linux and ChromeOS. This new launcher is a useful step to make such applications appear as "installed" applications that run offline, rather than only running in a web browser (although the option to run in a web page is still a useful ability).

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like