back to article Heroku cops to poor tech performance for last THREE YEARS

Heroku has admitted that apps running on its Bamboo tech stack have been exposed to shoddy performance for the past three years. In a surprising mea culpa, the Salesforce-owned platform-as-a-service copped to architectural failures alleged by $20,000-a-month customer Rap Genius earlier this week. The company's general manager …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Lance 3

So I guess that means things will speed up as one of the following happens:

1) Customers leave entirely

2) Apps are ported

I'm thinking it will be more option 1 than option 2. It is a little hard to convince your customer base to move to your new platform when you couldn't get the old one working right. What keeps Cedar from having the same problems as Bamboo down the road? They will what, promise Dogwood which would be a good name, so when it too is slow, it is a dog.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

"What keeps Cedar from having the same problems as Bamboo down the road?"

The fact that you learn from your mistakes. That you are wiser and more experienced than you were the last time you tried this. Hopefully, that you are humble enough to recognise the above and act on it.

A mea culpa is a great start; it shows recognition. The development of the second platform shows action. Bloody better reaction than most in this field.

"We didn't know everything there was to know, fucked up, learned from our mistakes and tried again, this time having learned things from before." Sounds...human. I'd trust those folks a lot more readily than I would $other_company that has "the next new thing."

2. jake Silver badge

It's a fair cop.

I've never even heard of heroku, until now.

And I've been in the industry for over a third of a century.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It's a fair cop.

The only people I know that care about or get excited by Heroku use Mac laptops at work. Says it all, doesn't it?!

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: It's a fair cop.

That's because are you are too occupied with survivalism and hog farming.

1. jake Silver badge

@DAM (was: Re: It's a fair cop.)

I'm not "too occupied" with much of anything. I'm a minimalist. I do what works. Glitter need not apply.

I am NOT a so-called "survivalist". Unlike those nutters, I'll likely make it through the next major state-wide $DISASTER without shooting anything[1], using my own resources. Most so-called "survivalists" will be amongst the first to whine about "da gubmint" not helping fast enough.

In total numbers, the swine are under 0.1% of the livestock on the ranch. And they pretty much take care of themselves. Out of curiosity, why do you, personally, DAM, seem to think that keeping pigs is a bad idea? Don't like pork? Can't stand bacon? Ham gives you hives? Can't pronounce "prosciutto"? Trotters not worthy of your stew/soup? Natural casings for sausage un-natural in your world? Scrapple alien to you? I assume that you find offal awful. Frankly, I feel very, very sorry for you.

[1] Except maybe an improperly prepared "survivalist" nutter, trying to steal our stuff after said disaster. Hint to the nutters: Ask first. If you truly need it, we'll happily share.[2]

[2] http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/containing/1226592

1. Comments are attributed to your handle
          Facepalm

Re: Re: @DAM (was: It's a fair cop.)

"Nurse, he's out of bed again!"

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. hahnchen
    Flame

We succeeded...

...in a bait and switch for 3 years. We are sorry that you have caught us. - Heroku

5. Dale 3
    Holmes

Growth

It's funny that they should suffer scalability problems; according to Wikipedia, "bamboos are some of the fastest-growing plants in the world".

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What's the point of cloud again?

Thought the point of cloud hosting is that it's both scalable and standards-based…if you have to rewrite your application to move to a different cloud/hosting provider, then you've got very expensive lock-in, and you're doing cloud wrong.

1. Zilla
      FAIL

Re: What's the point of cloud again?

Cloud has never been about standards based.... Because there has never been a single "cloud" standard.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like