back to article Amazon opens Redshift data warehouse to Joe Public

Amazon's Redshift cloudy data warehousing service is now available for general consumption after a trial among blessed customers. The pay-as-you-go technology, which scales from around 200GB into the petabyte range, represents a direct threat to the warehousing divisions of IBM, Oracle, Teradata, and EMC (Greenplum). Redshift …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Any organisation which sees the news from 2e2 or the Heroku story from earlier today

and still trusts their corporate data retention and processing functions to 'the cloud' deserves all of the crap which will inevitably come their way.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

trim the staffing

how I love such gentleness. How rude would it be to call it what it really means: make people jobless.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: trim the staffing

"they took our jobs" whinging is reserved for your factory workers that could barely learn one job let alone another. I'd like to think most of our IT guys can actually learn more than one skill in their lifetime.

3. Ashton Black

Get your SLAs and DR plans in order!

For small to medium businesses, I'd suggest this a great way to expand without the capital out lay of your own data centre. If you understand and mitigate the risks, as best you can, then it can be treated it like any other layer of storage, with associated pros and cons. Anyone who uses it without that understanding the risks is foolish, in my humble etc.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Get your SLAs and DR plans in order!

What ever is wrong with buying a few spare hard drives......

I mean for $1000+ a year (with other costs) per Terror Bite...

Fuck me.

A few spare drives split up between the storage center, the safe deposit box and at home.

1. bag o' spanners

Re: Get your SLAs and DR plans in order!

Whose home? Are there children, pets, or hungry velociraptors on the premises?

Whose safe deposit box? How much does it cost p.a.?

And who gets to whizz around on the company Segway to do the incremental updates from a USB stick?

I'm no fan of fluffy clouds for cloud's sake, but for low risk businesses who are just archiving to meet DP regs, offsite storage is a reasonable penny-pinching option.

(As long as there's a filter in the plughole that's capable of catching babies)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like