back to article Anon claims ‘d0x’ on bank execs

As part of its ongoing campaign following the suicide of RSS inventor and activist Aaron Swartz, Anonymous has published the names and login details of what it says are 4,000 US banking executives. The information was first posted on a site under the Alabama .gov domain (the Alabama Criminal Justice Center), with a mirror …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Whats the point?

Honestly this just reflects badly on anon. Sure, bankers are hardly the top of my Christmas card list but I've seen how far a dox can go at the same time.

There's better ways to get a point across. Wonder if Swartz would of approved of the "activism" in his name.

1. ThomH

I'll go a step farther and say I honestly don't see that Swartz would have approved of this move — what does a list of bankers have to do with JSTOR's remuneration to publishers rather than authors, to arbitrary and ridiculous sentencing limits or to the failure of the law to differentiate hacking penalties based on motive?

Anonymous continue to act as a group of attention-hungry children with no philosophy or ideology beyond enjoying a bit of bullying. Sometimes they may pick targets you personally don't like but that hardly absolves them.

2. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

SMARTR 0 Bots

Whats the point?

Honestly this just reflects badly on anon. Sure, bankers are hardly the top of my Christmas card list but I've seen how far a dox can go at the same time.

There's better ways to get a point across. Wonder if Swartz would of approved of the "activism" in his name. ... Anonymous Coward Posted Tuesday 5th February 2013 00:13 GMT

Are you saying that such actions are misguided, Anonymous Coward? In a corrupt system of right dodgy law enforcement would they certainly be more towards the courageously inspiring than the cowardly pathetic and apathetic.

Any and all misguiding attempts that try to ensure an ignorant population for perverse arrogant powers to insure and assure with corruptible controls makes humanised beings an invisible anonymous entity and invincible omniscient enemy to fail states of disorder and anarchy with CHAOS ..... Clouds Hosting Advanced Operation Systems ..... is a New Orderly World franchise with IntelAIgents and Virtual Machines in Creative Cyber Command and Control of Computers and Communications.

Welcome to the Parity, El Reg. And thanks for all the phishes/phormed feeds and sublime seeds.

Is Parity, AI Singularity?

3. andro
    FAIL

"Swartz had opened a hole in MIT’s JSTOR system, allowing free access to academic papers"

Thats not true. He had legitimate access to the system and downloaded them with distribute the information. Once busted doing it legitimately, he broke open a network cabinet and kept going. He was again busted at this point but that was the end. The worst he had done was bust open a cabinet. He never did allow free access to the papers which is an important point - regardless of his original intent. He had returned the papers and said he would not do it, but they still wanted to go with disproportionate fine and jail time.

I do think anon need to be more productive for their cause than just doxing people with more money than them. Not all successful people are evil by default and such blanket attacks with collateral damage make them no better than the people they are against.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"the attackers claimed that the information was obtained from Federal Reserve machines"

just wondering; but why does the government have the user names and passwords of those executives?

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

The internet as a constructive and disruptive educational tool ....... with Quantum RAMemory*

"the attackers claimed that the information was obtained from Federal Reserve machines"

just wondering; but why does the government have the user names and passwords of those executives?.... AC Posted Tuesday 5th February 2013 07:37 GMT

Wonder no longer, AC, for the Federal Reserve are a private entity and have nothing at all to do with government, other than trying to control them with fiat currency and QE money supply, of course. And the system doesn't like you knowing about all of that. Indeed, Henry Ford advised of the real and present dangers of it and the likely consequences to those who run and run with it whenever he shared ..... "It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning."

*The significance of the flexibility of such AIMemory is contained in an extrapolation and metadatamorphosis of this core bit of information ....... A bit is the basic unit of computer information. Regardless of its physical realization, a bit is always understood to be either a 0 or a 1. An analogy to this is a light switch— with the off position representing 0 and the on position representing 1.

A qubit has a few similarities to a classical bit, but is overall very different. Like a bit, a qubit can have two possible values—normally a 0 or a 1. The difference is that whereas a bit must be either 0 or 1, a qubit can be 0, 1, or a superposition of both. .... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qubit ....... for it is definitely not a case of what you see is what you get.

And that can make IT extremely destructive too, in the right and wrong hands/hearts and minds, and there is not a lot, and probably more truthfully, absolutely nothing that one can do about it should one not fully understand what one should be doing with IT, rather than exercising what one can do with IT.

5. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Facepalm

Dox or scrape?

So the Anonyputzs CLAIM to have the email logins and passwords for all these execs? Male bovine manure. If they had even one then they would have published all his emails with their usual childish glee, they have such an irrational hatred of anyone in finance. I suspect all they did was scrape websites until they had the list of emails, then made up passwords. If anyone checks the passwords and finds they don't work, the Anonyputzs will claim it's because the passwords have been changed. Usual skiddie-induced yawn.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Dox or scrape?

Agreed, definitely - imagine how many scandals could be exposed with the emails of 4000 banking execs.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

it's a trap by the FBI/CIA/NSA/MI5/MI6/FSB/KGB/China

This topic is closed for new posts.