back to article Old-man EMC stirs from slumber, finds a pile 'o gold under its feet

As last summer drew to a close, EMC was fast asleep in terms of sales growth. But not any more. The tech giant awoke with a jolt during the Christmas quarter to teach a lesson in how storage companies should be run. Revenues in the fourth quarter of EMC's 2012 calendar year rose to a record high: $6.03bn. A year ago they were …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Guilty!

Some of that will be my shiny new VNX 5300..

Not surprising they are whipping the likes of Dell and IBM. I was originally intending to get another EqualLogic but Dell tried to play hardball with the price. While IBM, its impossible to find any actual detail on their systems.. its almost as if they sell storage begrudgingly (Oh if we have too!)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Guilty!

I disagree, IBM probably has their best storage portfolio in decades at the moment and has been investing heavily in storage in recent years as compared to the previous IBM storage generation of DS8 (IBM designed system) plus LSI rebranded (DS3, 4 and 5) mid-range storage. I think the V7000, relatively new IBM engineered mid-range system, compares nicely against VNX or HUS or FAS. They wouldn't have built V7000 and acquired XIV, Diligent, Storwize, TMS, Arsenal, etc if they were not seriously interested in storage.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Guilty!

@AC - Read the comment properly - "its impossible to find any actual detail on their systems"

And I completely, IBM has all but disappeared from the SME market. They may have some amazing systems, but its practically impossible to find any information on them and how they compare with Similar Dell, HP and EMC products.

2. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

The memristor will reduce them to rubble! Jeez, can't you find something more plausible, like Woz inventing anti-gravity at Fusion-io?

This topic is closed for new posts.