back to article Bipartisan Senate group proposes green cards for tech grads

Pigs were sighted flying over Washington DC on Sunday when a bipartisan group of eight US senators released an immigration reform plan that would, among other things, grant permanent-resident status to foreign nationals who receive advanced tech degrees from US universities. "It makes no sense to educate the world's future …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm quite left leaning...

but targeting a particular sector is going to hurt that sector. Instead of paying techs a living wage we'll bring in techs who'll work for less, often much less. That's the way forward and the way to ensure that no one will study that subject with the expectation of having a career in that field, but if that's what the corporate executive want that's what the government will peddle.

1. Ally 1

Re: I'm quite left leaning...

I can't see that at all. The people they are talking about would have probably already paid a fortune to study in the US, either that or be the best of the best from their country to get scholarships. I don't think they'd settle for being a BOFH. If they don't get a good US job, they'd probably head back home and use parental money and influence to get a dream job in country of origin.

I also travel a quite frequently to Slicon Valley, and the number of immigrant start-up owners I meet is unbelievable, especially those from India and China. So those guys end up employing STEM grads in well paying positions, reather than replacing local labour

2. JaitcH
    WTF?

grant permanent-resident status to foreign nationals who receive advanced tech degrees

Can you imagine the UK even thinking about this? Mad May would never condone this.

Instead they are focussed on the removal of all. Just think of the technological advances that could be achieved by replicating the proposed US efforts in this regard.

3. Joseph Lord

If this passed there will be a massive rise in the price of ...

...the university places that will leave people eligible for this permanent citizenship.

1. Ally 1

Re: If this passed there will be a massive rise in the price of ...

There will be a massive expansion in the number of expensive "crossover" from arts to STEM courses that are not worth the parchment they are printed on you mean?

4. Christoph
    Black Helicopters

Faux News

"It's up to me and Fox News"

Nice to have firm confirmation that Faux News is in no way a neutral news reporting organisation, but a clear and deliberate propaganda machine. Not that this will surprise anyone of course.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like