back to article Ten... tech stocking stuffers

Stuck for ideas for someone who has everything or just in need of inspiration to top up a stack of gifts you already have? It's certainly tricky sorting out gifts that are going to please over those that will be destined for eBay come the New Year. So here we have a bit of mixed bag – or should that be Santa's sack? – ranging …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. melt
    Meh

Yikes!

"Stocking fillers" are usually cheap!

1. Richard 81

Re: Yikes!

Indeed. These are a bit pricier than the usual chocolate oranges.

2. Paul Renault

Re: Yikes!

You have to remember that El Reg's reporters' salaries start at a quarter million plus.

To them, £200 is chump change.

2. Khaptain Silver badge
    Coffee/keyboard

I thought it was going to be serious

Ha ha ha ,

Bob Dormon picked 10 completely random tech items, which probably have a decent kickback, threw them onto a webpage and gave the page a title.

A Spyder4 screen calibration tool for photographers........had me rolling about the office floor

A Dlink routeur .................... had the rest of the office rolling about the floor

An Aston Martin mouse ......... we had people coming in from the street to see why everyone had tears in their eyes whilst flailing about wildly on the office floor and they too joined in....

It's wednesday and Bob must have some serious problems coming up with anything original, so we got this............

ha ha ha.

I'm still wiping away the tears as I write

3. Eponymous Cowherd
    Thumb Down

Not...

Stocking fillers.

Hmm, thinks...... Want a few fun items to fill my Geek's stockings? I know I'll buy him/her a £180 monitor calibration thingumy and some £250 headphones.

Errm. no.

4. Flawless101
    Unhappy

Automobile brands

I don't what it is, but every time I something by automobile brands it just looks tacky and I am instantly reminded of the friends episode were Joey decks himself in Porsche gear so he can pretend he owns one.

5. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Yay, stocking fillers on the 19th December.

Great. not much hope of getting for Xmas then.... Shouldn't this be last week's news????

1. Richard 81

Re: Yay, stocking fillers on the 19th December.

Don't worry, there'll be plenty of these in the shops. No one else will want them.

6. Alex Walsh

Kingston Wi-Drive 128GB- useless as it's formatted to FAT32 :(

I won the Ferrari headphones in a competition and they are aces though :)

1. Annihilator
      IT Angle

FAT32

Why would it be useless formatted to FAT32? I have terabyte drives formatted to FAT32, think the limit is 2TB (or even 16TB if you up the sector size)

1. dotdavid

Re: FAT32

FAT32 has a 4GB file size limit, but that's the only problem I can think of. Useless for blu-ray rips perhaps.

7. Richard 81

£40 phone case a throwaway gift?

I'm clearly in the wrong line of work.

8. GettinSadda
    FAIL

I want to live in Bob's world

I want to live in a world where I can spend more on stocking fillers than I do on any of the main presents I have bought in the real world.

Looks live being a web-journo pays better than being a banker!

1. Richard 81
      Unhappy

Re: I want to live in Bob's world

Some of them cost more than my total Christmas budget.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Last minute? Why not likely.

10. ukgnome

Now now folks

These are stocking fillers - for people with deep pockets and fat legs!

11. Captain Underpants
    Unhappy

Who at El Reg HQ seriously believes that as a last minute Christmas present, any of us is going to waste £180 on a monitor calibration tool just because it'll work on a FruitPhone? Or £260 for headphones, for that matter?

I mean, yes, I understand that these articles are at least 50% about the affiliate program clickthroughs, but still...had you offered stuff that people might even remotely be interested in picking up as impulse-buy last-minute gifts, it could've worked. I've no idea who this list is targeted at, only that they clearly have far more money than sense.

12. Miek
    Facepalm

iStomp, I was imaging that users stomped on their iPhones until I saw the picture of the actual effects pedal. Doh!

13. Kubla Cant
    Thumb Down

Pointless junk

They're stocking-fillers in the sense that, with maybe one or two exceptions, they're all pointless junk.

I was flabbergasted by the price of the colour calibrator and the pedal that adds distortion to your phone. (Maybe I've missed the point of the last one. Is is a pedal that allows your phone to distort the noises your guitar makes?). Then I saw that they were targeted at iOS. I suppose to an Apple customer, nothing is too expensive.

14. blcollier
    FAIL

Fail

I was already pretty dubious about taking the article seriously when it's supposedly about stocking fillers, yet there's nothing in this list at what I would call stocking filler price. I stopped reading altogether when you feature an iPhone case which supposedly reduces mobile "radiation" yet increases signal strength. If you're going to put out such an obvious marketing puff piece based on stuff you've been handed/loaned, next time please put the complete and utter bull***t on the first page so I won't have to waste any of my life on it again.

Putting aside the claims of "radiation" from mobile phones causing harm, you cannot at the same time reduce "radiation" and increase signal strength - THEY ARE THE SAME THING. If you block/attenuate the signal coming out of/into the phone, your signal strength and quality will drop.

"Weird science? Snake oil modelling? Take your pick, it’s going to be hard for a user to determine if the improved signal strength is noticeable or if Pong’s redirection of TRP (total radiated power) is going to save your life or not"

No, it won't be hard for any user with any ounce of common sense at all. Any user with any common sense at all will realise that if you block something you cannot amplify or improve it at the same time. No, they'll stay the hell away from the company foisting quackery on you at an inflated price; they'll get A.N. Other brand silicone case/skin for their phone and pay £5-£15 for it. Which, incidentally, will also stop your phone sliding around and protect it from falls without the exorbitant price tag that this thing commands.

There is no depth of fail low enough to describe the depths that TheReg has plumbed with this "article".

15. andy gibson

A better article

Would have featured things like those little remote control helicopters which are now a tenner at your local bargain shop.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A better article

Yes, they are really brilliant! Astonishing what a lithium cell, infra red controller and and supermagnet motors can do.

16. Captain Hogwash

Pong Cases

For when something smells a bit fishy?

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

???

"There are plenty of 10in Android tablets out there, but few of them have the screen 4 x 3 aspect ratio of the Disgo 9104 and its 1024 x 768 resolution. " Very true thank goodness, they are usually much better specced with a proper widescreen and better resolution.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hold down left + right buttons = Simulate middle button click...

So, under my standard Xorg setup, the rate of movement of my mouse will randomly vary if I forget myself and don't use the scroll wheel button thingy....

Cheers El Reg, glad I missed out on that mouse. Doesn't look particularly ergonomic either...

19. teebie

"ranging from [...] cheap and cheerful"

no they aren't.

These are only stocking fillers to people who wear panda-fur socks

1. Oor Nonny-Muss
      Boffin

I prefer Thylacine fur socks myself.

Just off to plump up my dodo feather pillows.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like