Win8 drivers affecting Win7?

This topic was created by Neil Barnes .

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Win8 drivers affecting Win7?

Still investigating this issue but I'm keen to hear from anyone with a clue about it:

A very recent purchase of an Acer laptop with W7 has been delivered with an apparently non-functioning right-button on the trackpad. Turns out the switch itself is fine; the synaptics driver disables the right-button (or the left, if you select left-handed mouse) completely, and offers no option to enable it.

This looks like a W8 thing but none of the W8 motions do anything helpful; neither slide in from sides or top/bottom do anything more than move the pointer and a two-finger tap does nothing. Curiously, pinch does zoom (albeit slowly).

As I said, I'm still investigating, but any input would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Neil

1. Dan Paul
      Devil

Re: Win8 drivers affecting Win7?

Neil,

Try looking at "Problems with Tap to click" in your searches. perhaps the laptop is confused by having Windows 8 Hardware and running Windows 7. Just had something similar happen using a new Windows 8 compatible Logitech wireless keyboard with built in touchpad (for my media pc). It just did not want to click, it preffered to "tap". A driver update for the keyboard helped.

On the other hand you may have to delete and reinstall the drivers with a full reboot in between.

2. ryankidman

facing same problem uninstalled windows 7 and then working on windows 8 now its better

3. jainpranav
    Thumb Up

I didn't find any kind of this problem with my System while working with this

4. jason321

Got curious on this and did a small research but there is no much information about it. However I found someone else with a sound card problem after switching OS from Windows 7 to Windows 8.

In terms of hardware there should be no problem but the drivers may be changed since they are the ones controlling hardware operations. Don't know if this post I read will give you more ideas http://www.techyv.com/questions/vista-xp-follow.

You will see a similar issue comprehensively discussed but its between Vista and XP.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon