Fixing Dell Storage

This topic was created by Chris Mellor 1 .

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Chris Mellor 1

Fixing Dell Storage

Dell storage revenues have declined for two years and its head, Darren Thomas, has just resigned. How should Dell storage be fixed so it delivers on its promise?

2. dieselfreak
    Megaphone

EVA end-of-life and no 3PAR replacement products???

3PAR StoreServ 7000

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y4t5Bt6GEI

1. Chris Mellor 1

Re: EVA end-of-life and no 3PAR replacement products???

Well, that was then and HP has fixed its mid-range hole with the new StoreServ products and EVA-->StoreServ migration facilities. Dell now has a harder job to do, competing with HP.

Chris.

1. Mason92

Re: EVA end-of-life and no 3PAR replacement products???

If the problem is mixed so what problem left.

3. Christena421

nice suggestion

4. jordandevin

How should Dell storage be fixed so it delivers on its promise?

Of course, some obstacles are legitimate, but organizations tend to accept “no” too quickly. The regulatory obstacles are not as big as they seem, and the pace of change in technology means the architectural ones aren’t either. The best way to guarantee you get no benefits from the cloud is to block the programs that promote its adoption.

I’ve come a long way from being a cloud skeptic myself. While I still maintain that dynamic provisioning and smarter application architecture are the true innovations of what we call “the cloud,” arguing the semantics is beside the point. What I do believe is that cloud solutions do a better job of delivering on the promise of outsourcing than outsourcing itself. Deploying an up-to-date, standardized, flexible, cost-effective, constantly improved and shared asset on behalf of corporations has been outsourcing’s pitch from the beginning. But it took this thing we now call the cloud to deliver on that promise, even though, as they say, results may vary.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: How should Dell storage be fixed so it delivers on its promise?

"But it took this thing we now call the cloud to deliver on that promise"

And that was IBM, in the late 1950s or early 1960s.

People with clues have moved on from centralized computing.

1. fashion123

Re: How should Dell storage be fixed so it delivers on its promise?

"But it took this thing we now call the cloud to deliver on that promise" ?

5. fashion123

should Dell storage

I’ve come a long way from being a cloud skeptic myself.

This topic is closed for new posts.