back to article Facebook takes aim at SMS with new Messenger app

Facebook has unveiled an update to its Messenger app for Android aimed at getting mobile users off SMS and onto the social network's own messaging service. Beginning on Tuesday, users no longer need a full Facebook account to access Messenger. Instead, they can sign up for the service using nothing more than their names and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge
    Go

Please, oh please

Let me give even more private data to Zuckerberg to sell!

1. LarsG

Re: Please, oh please

Hail King Zuck.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Please, oh please

Ah but is this innovation OR desperation?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That sucking sound you hear......

All your phone belong to us.

3. Esskay
    Thumb Down

Because I didn't have enough instant messaging services....

This sounds a lot like whatsApp, or a multitude of other services already in existence. Except obviously this one has the misery and shadiness of "Facebook" all over it.

4. Danny 14
    FAIL

wow

sounds great. I cant WAIT to give my name and mobile number to facebook.

Oh wait a minute....

5. VinceH
    Thumb Down

Optional

"By allowing customers without Facebook accounts to access Messenger, Facebook brings the service that much closer to its goal of bringing all forms of electronic chat – including, email, IM, and SMS – under a single, unified messaging umbrella."

But Facebook's messaging is utter, utter shite.

6. mark l 2 Silver badge
    FAIL

Sounds like every other Android facebook app, released without testing and doesn't work properly. Android users as beta testers again

7. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Stop

So....

Facebook get's it's users to give it phone numbers of people who still haven't drunk the kool-aid ? No doubt from their address book, so now Facebook knows their phone number AND their email address and name.

Nothing bad about that.

8. This post has been deleted by its author

9. derv
    FAIL

Privacy

In preparation for this assault, and as a non-user of this sh$te how can I submit a request to facebook that they must never/store/use my name, email address and phone number i.e. Non facebook information, when their scavenging app is used on peoples mobiles/devices?

10. joeW
    Facepalm

ITT...

People who have and will never use Facebook, but still feel it necessary to tell everyone they have and will never use Facebook, so the proles will know how smart they are.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

follow the money

Let's see, Facebook gets hammered by investers as their advertising model is levelling out due to there not being the same opportunities to stream advertising to mobiles. Taaadaaa here is Facebooks new mobile messenger

So chances are if a friend texts you asking if you fancy a pizza your nearest dominos number will appear in the message?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Onile Advertising Profitability?

Not everybody owns a smart-phone and so Facebooks Messenger app wont really replace SMS.

I cant understand companies like Facebook trying to make money from advertising, It hasnt been done in the last 20 years and probably wont in the future. Retailers need to discount heavily (over 20%) to entice online purchases. If retailers do this then there wont be enough of a margin to advertise in the first place.

As for food purchases, most people will probably already have the number of their favorite local takeaway or restaurant stored as a contacts on their phone.

The big search engines make money because people click on the first link presented to them. Advertisers are willing to pay to have the first chance of trying to make a sale which may or may not be successful. How profitable search engines are is a mystery. They need to spend heavily to pay for the bandwidth required to maintain their indexes.

Maybe somebody on The Register can enlighten us numpties about the online advertising industry.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like