back to article Voda fails again: network melts in Melbourne heatwave

Vodafone is once again apologising to customers after an air-conditioner wilted as Melbourne temperatures hovered just under 40°C yesterday. That outage, in the company’s Tullamarine switch, flattened services for as many as half of its Melbourne customers, reaching out to impact as much as 15 percent of its traffic nationally …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. P. Lee
    Mushroom

Phones down?

Ha, amateurs! The local power company decided that yesterday, in 38C+ heat, it would be a good idea to cut my power for the half of the day.

<---- it's gettin' hot in here...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@P. Lee.

There is nothing new about high temperatures in Australia. What is new is a Prime Minister accusing state governments of encouraging the so-called “gold-plating” of power infrastructure, i.e., excessive spending on upgrading transmission and distribution networks. (http://www.wsws.org/articles/2012/nov2012/powr-n23.shtml).

I distinctly recall previous blackouts in South Australia being blamed on decaying infrastructure. This will not end well.

3. Denarius
    Meh

Voda ???? again

one hour text delays ??? that's good. When I used them, under an hour was fast. Went somewhere else that had coverage more than 30 mK from coast who also transmit TXT thru in 5 seconds or less.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How does loss of one airconditioner take out an important site?

Wouldnt their redundant cooling keep the environment at operational temperatures?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like