back to article Skype 3.0 lands on Android tabs, says all your bass are belong to it

Skype for Android is up to version three, promising better sound and tablet-friendly menus along with Microsoft account sign-in as Redmond continues to merge user accounts. The claim to improved sound is credible. The variability of Skype's audio makes it hard to pin down, but apparently there's a better audo codec called SILK …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Eddy Ito
    Coat

"all your bass are belong to it"

What happened to catch and release?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Just updated...

and wishing I hadn't... running on a Nexus 7, it's slower than the previous build, only works in Landscape mode, has crashed twice (on loading) so far... not impressed Microsoft!

1. Tom 35

Re: Just updated...

The old one was kind of crap, and didn't use it much. The new one has been un-installed. That was not an update.

2. Steve Evans

Re: Just updated...

Yup, landscape only... What a superb advance... *rolls eyes*

I haven't tried it in video chat yet, but I bet I can guess what happens... If I hold it landscape, I'm sideways to the other person, if I hold it portrait I look correct to them, but their picture is shown sideways to me.

I'm going to roll my eyes again because I'm going to need the rotational practise soon!

1. dssf
        Joke

Re: Just updated... ah, but,

You're holding it wrong....

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Won't even let me log in! Long standing issue on many Android tabs - STILL not solved

Enter user name and password. Skype goes away for a few seconds then says: "Skype has stopped working"

Many, many posts about this but never any solution.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Echo sound test lady

Ah many times I have rung, maybe she'll go out on a date....

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As far as contacts in my address book goes.. I'm playing with Tango to see if that is a credible alternative for my personal uses.

I'm happy to use my bundled minutes on landline calls. mostly used Skype for free Skype to Skype calls.. Losing Skype kinda fits in with the move to Suse 21.2 as my main o/s - the less redmond the better IMHO, Tango runs nicely on my cyanogen flavour droid as well.

1. P. Lee
      Alien

> Suse 21.2

Houston, we have a time-machine of the non-Apple kind! ;)

6. Chuunen Baka

Why bother?

It's not clear to me why MS should even bother to spend money developing free software to run on alien OS's - Android, Linux or Mac. And why upset their WLM user base? But I guess if you pay £5.3bn for something you sort of feel obliged to promote it.

1. spegru
      Linux

Re: Why bother?

i'm just steeling myself for when they switch off the linux versions like they did on my 3 Skypephone

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Simple, because that's how you get widespread usage in these multi device times.

3. Chemist

"why MS should even bother to spend money developing free software"

One reason is that they charge for skype <=> conventional phone calls. Very reasonable price. I use it regularly to call my mother in UK from Switzerland - costs <2p /min. I see now it can be just £4/month for unlimited calls on a subscription basis (but a fair usage policy !)

Works fine on Linux - we've got a USB headset that improves the quality a lot

7. Pete the not so great
    Meh

Eh?

I must have a tin ear, I couldn't tell the difference

8. My Opinion
    FAIL

Broken for many

There are huge numbers of "Reviews" in Google Play complaining that this update has broken Skype for them. Bizarrely a number of people are saying they can't get it to work at all now, but have still given it 4 or 5 stars! I can only assume if you have previously reviewed it and then re-review it you are unable to downgrade your rating? Otherwise, people are seemingly saying it's good that it's broken!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Broken for many

There are a lot of people who seem to find a 5 star rating system difficult to understand. Many's the time I have seen 'Truly awful avoid at all costs - 5*' not just in Google play but on Lovefilm, IMDB etc. Wish they would get it right as it messes the rating up.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Broken for many

Obligatory XKCD reference:

http://xkcd.com/1098/

Although actually this one is better:

http://xkcd.com/937/

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Push notifications

Does anyone know if support for push notifications/GCM have been implemented in this new version, or does it have to constantly run and stay connected to receive calls? I won't bother if it's the latter...

10. Mark Eccleston
    Thumb Down

Galaxy Nexus

The proximity sensor that turns off the screen when In a call and holding the phone to your ear no longer works on the new version.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

all your bass are belong to it

Sounds a bit fishy to me

12. Gio Ciampa
    FAIL

Installed...

...did my usual call to the test service - it carried on ringing even though she was giving me the spiel - then two pings about a second apart indicated that I could talk (and then stop)...

...so no change to it's behaviour from the last year or so - apart from logging in first time which it hasn't done for ages...

...and thus uninstalled (from my Wildfire)

13. PeterM42
    Thumb Up

What am I doing wrong?

It seems OK on my Galaxy S2 (Android) and laptop (Win7).

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like