back to article Russia restores comms with space station after roadworks cut cable

Russia restored its communications with the International Space Station and satellites this morning after repairing a cable in Moscow that had been damaged during roadworks, Russian space agency Roscosmos has announced. Roadworks in Moscow actually interrupted space traffic yesterday as an accidentally severed cable cut Russia …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. NomNomNom

space traffic?

"Roadworks in Moscow actually interrupted space traffic yesterday"

the soviets are more advanced than I thought

2. Ru
    Facepalm

Why on earth hasn't someone invented some sort of communications protocol that can be routed over multiple channels? It can't be rocket science... they seem to be doing okay at that.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

it does seem a bit "single point of failure" doesn't it? Reminds me of the incident where some grandma in a remote bit of an eastern european country accidently dug up the primary internet connection. Ah, here is is: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/04/06/net_killing_granny/

3. James Micallef Silver badge
    Coat

"Russia restores comms with space station after roadworks cut cable"

Russia have a ROAD that goes to space? Sure beats the shuttle!

1. Petrea Mitchell
      Coat

Re: "Russia restores comms with space station after roadworks cut cable"

Not if it's full of roadworks, it doesn't.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Major Tim?

*The only British astronaut, Major Tim Peake, has yet to fly in space. As and when he does, however, it will be on a mission to the ISS so we think this subhead is justifiable.

Er, have I missed something, 20 years ago....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helen_Sharman

1. Andus McCoatover
      Windows

Missed something?

Would that be "only British crewmember of this mission has yet to fly into space"?

Yeps, remember Helen Sharman. Job was up for grabs - it was a 'phone-in' thing, advertised on radio. Out of mischief, I gave it a whirl. Think I just missed it. "What's your University experience?"

"There's one down the road I drive past from time to time"

I guess wasn't quite the answer they were looking for....

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"of this mission"

Well, that's the bit I was missing earlier......

With those three words added the paragraph makes more sense, and I have no reason to doubt my memory of the lady from mars.

It has been a long day and the least I expected is a badly worded El Reg paragraph.

2. Dom 3

Re: Major Tim?

Sharman was a cosmonaut, no? Failing that, in NASA-speak she would have been a "spaceflight participant". Peake will, if the French ever allow it, be the first *something*, but that something turns out to be rather a narrow definition, involving the facts that his flight will be publicly funded, and that he hasn't emigrated and taken different (or dual) nationality.

5. ColonelClaw
    Coat

Wonders will never cease

I wasn't aware Virgin Cable was broadcasting in Moscow too

6. Darkwolf

hmmm

Is Major Tim in any way related to Major Tom?

For those who dont get the reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D67kmFzSh_o

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: hmmm

Do you really think that was necessary, knowing El Reg's demographic?

7. Local G
    Alien

To get that Russian je ne sais quoi

how about Major Dima?

8. json

Good thing stalin is long dead otherwise..

.. heads will literally roll!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like