back to article When cookie spewers single you out, it IS personal, barks watchdog

Information that can lead to individuals being "singled out and treated differently" should generally be classed as "personal data", an EU privacy body has recommended. The Article 29 Working Party has outlined changes (45-page/410KB PDF) to how it wants 'personal data' to be defined, and to what information the term should …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Lee Dowling Silver badge

So a number plate, for example, would be personal data.

And my explicit (not implicit) consent would be required by each organisation who wants to store that personal data.

Which would kinda blow out of the water those car parks that want to record ANPR lookups, the congestion charging zone, etc.

Not that I think that's a bad thing. But it may be an unintended consequence.

1. Rob Carriere

I'm not sure that is necessarily so. Depending on exactly how this gets phrased, I will likely be able to run my car park on a 'consent, or park somewhere else' basis. At which point the whole thing becomes openly economic: either you consent, or you go somewhere else and pay premium.

The good part about that is that the hidden costs are chased out into the open. The bad part about it is that only the affluent will be able to afford privacy.

1. jonathanb Silver badge

But you would need to know about the ANPR camera and have the opportunity to drive away before it takes a photo.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

looking forward a couple of years to Intelligent transport based personal movement devices (cars) using DSRC (digital short range communications or 802.11p) one of the ideas is that your car IT system should be able to generate a cloud of identities, perhaps changing MAC/IPv6/whatever ten times a second, in order to escape otherwise trivial profiling by the infrastructure or rogue-elements. The actual ID would of course be made available to the authorities on judicial demand. This intelligent transport "n+1 cloud of identities" (where 'n' is the monitoring technology capability) is being debated at present. DSRC will have anything and everything on the CANbus available, peak speed, verified A-galileo location, time since last rest-period, COx emissions...

ANPR privacy should have been debated a decade ago? - but isn't everything ALPR/ANPR shipped to the US spooks anyway as part of their giant data grab??

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

OH No!

Here comes EU Cookies Fiasco - Part Deux

3. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Could be worse

Imagine you have chosen: Accept all cookies, treat all cookies as session cookies and disabled flash, java and javascript. Despite making the effort to show a clear policy for cookies, there is a gray bar wasting 8% of your LCD panel that will only go away if you accept the (changing) terms and conditions from several different companies and a cookie.

The gray bar is there because of an eu directive.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Could be worse

you're happy living inside your Google Bubble?

Strange how you pay ten percent more for EasyJet flights than I do - though I do have to browse from a single instance VM accessing the web sites via a TOR tunnel today apparently emanating from București in order to maybe not be tracked, bubbled, and whacked by the marketing machines.

The cookie eu directive is there to try and level the playing field, hasn't succeeded yet! Lobby Nelly and tell her how to do it better!! The eu does actually read its mail.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: you're happy living inside your Google Bubble?

I'd be more worried if I had to resort to using EasyJet.

1. Rukario
          Pint

Re: you're happy living inside your Google Bubble?

I'd be more worried if I had to resort to using Ryanair!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPyl2tOaKxM

(Then again, they did find the flights on Google!)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Why is there this continuing assumption that the cookies and the tracking that they support is necessary? Advertising could easily be provided without it with the added benefit the potential clients would not be creeped out by being followed around online.

It's only the advertising industry's continual efforts to ram this tracking down our throats whether we want it or not that creates this sort of situation in the first place, and the likes of this website and others that continue to support them in their endevours that helps the industry to avoid accepting that maybe - just maybe - the general public don't like being stalked online.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No argument with the principle but the implementation was totally wrong.

Instead of making it an opt-in or out for every site visited, it should be a one-time setting in the browser with a manual exceptions list. In other words, Do Not Track (only without the loopholes the ad-industry lobbyists are trying to get!).

There would then be severe penalties for disregarding for evading the user's preferences.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like