back to article Hitachi Data Systems dons converged system cloak

Hitachi Data Systems has announced its UCP converged server-storage-networking system both in integrated system and reference architecture form, taking on EMC and NetApp while partners Cisco and VMware triumphantly play the field. The Unified Compute Platform comes in Pro and Select versions, 11 versions in all. The UCP Pro is …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

oh..

I kinda feel sorry for HDS. They're like the old man in the room who enters conversations long after others have moved on. They should have had this a year ago at LEAST. I think they have some great technology which is better than many competitors (but marketed and supported poorly).

This converged system reeks of a 'me-too' without any real key differentiators to move them from the EMC and Netapp packs. I'm not sure if they actually want to sell these things or just be able to put a check in the box.

They should have thought a bit outside the box and partnered with some of the up-and-coming flash vendors (Violin, etc) who are giving the usual vendors a bit of a kicking while they have a head start. Yes they would the storage sale, but the converged stack is so much more and you really need to have a few good differentiators.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: oh..

If flash is critical, why partner with up-and-coming flash vendors? Why not design and build something on their own?

Doing exactly what everybody else does, (OEM 3rd party flash stuff) isn't really "thinking out of the box". Is it?

2. MDebelic

HDS takes on EMC, NetApp....

....a bit late?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like