back to article Psst! Don't tell anyone, but HP is silently improving its IBRIX filer

HP has quietly released a three-times faster IBRIX filer, the X9730, replacing the previous model. HP bought IBRIX and its parallelised scale-out file server technology for an unrevealed price in July 2009. The technology appeared in HP's X9000 line of products. These compete with EMC's Isilon scale-out filers, and also with …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Policy based tiering

Policy based tiering is in there because HP offer different members of the X9000 family which have contrasting storage properties, e.g There's a gateway product (X9300) that can sit in front of an existing array, an all SAS version (X9320) and SAS midline (X9730). All can be part of the same cluster and namespace so data can be placed on the most appropriate tier based on access frequency or age etc. I'm told metadata processing is distributed across all nodes so there's no bottleneck on metatdata and so less need to accelerate this with flash. If your contact at HP UK doesn't know anything about this, then you're probably talking to the wrong person :-(.

1. Man Mountain

Re: Policy based tiering

Exactly what I was going to post. The 9730 is the high capacity member of the X9000 family - there is also a higher performance X9320 and a Gateway X9300, which could have any performance / capacity attributes depending upon the underlying array. All the different models can co-exist in the same environment and the tiering can be between models. The X9000 family has had this feature and model range right from the start so I would have expected the author to be better informed.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Policy based tiering

"The X9000 family has had this feature and model range right from the start so I would have expected the author to be better informed."

I'm sure he was, but it doesn't contain flash therefore it's not of interest, oh and it's also from HP, so no surprise there then :-)

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Less content more detail

Here's the real info on the X9730

http://itknowledgeexchange.techtarget.com/storage-soup/hp-debuts-news-ibrix-scale-out-nas-system/

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like