back to article WSJ bigs up Nimble and Coraid, massages their VC backers

The Wall Street Journal has decided hybrid disk array vendor Nimble Storage and Ethernet storage array biz Coraid are going to be The Next Big storage Things. Nimble Storage sells hybrid flash and spinning disk drive arrays as a way of getting flash speed and disk capacity without paying the all-flash array premium. Coraid is …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. K

Not being a storage expert

I do wonder what the difference between these guys and the Hybrid SAN's offered by existing "Tier 1" vendors..

All I know is they cost about 2x more, I'm currently in the process of purchasing an EMC VNX5300 with 2TB SSD and 12TB 10k SAS with all the FastCache and FastTier features for about £28k.. When I enquired with these vendors, they wanted closer to £50k.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not being a storage expert

Is that so? Not to mean this in a bad way, but maybe because they don't see longer term biz value with you? I'd recommend you send out a RFP with an initial purchase of what you want (and potential upside later ... what you don't want). See where that gets you with vendors.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It is marketing, my friend!

I reckon a lot of these awards are about vc's and companies marketing to the journalists by giving special briefings. Not saying its unethical, but better marketed. Coraid's products are DAS on network with some intelligence. How its more advanced and likely to succeed than the likes of companies mentioned? Would love to see mssrs wsj say why others did not make it. As a IT admin who has evaluated storage I see other companies have serious potential.

This topic is closed for new posts.