back to article Day-long outage 'not a hack,' claims GoDaddy

Domain registrar GoDaddy has commented on the daylong DNS outage that downed many of its customers' websites on Monday, saying that not only was a hacker not responsible, but that the service interruption wasn't the result of a DDoS attack at all. "The service outage was not caused by external influences," Scott Wagner, the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Combat Wombat
    Facepalm

Paging Dr

Bullshit.... paging Dr Bullshit.

GoDaddy is clearly lying to save it's own ass.

1. Aaron Em
      WTF?

Really?

You'd rather issue a mea culpa and an apology for screwing up, than say a bully came along and kicked your ass, but you're going to boxing classes to make sure it doesn't happen again? Metaphorically speaking, of course, since judging by your past comments you're thick enough to need it pointed out.

2. phuzz Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: Paging Dr

Hanlon's razor: Always assume incompetence rather than malice.

ie, it's more likely that they fucked up, rather than some script kiddy managed to hack them, AND they managed to successfully cover that up.

2. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

Well, I've never been a custo^H^H^H^H^H victim of GoDaddy, but from all the complaints I've seen over the years, they must be the world's only ISP with a credibility rating in negative numbers.

While I'm not at all convinced that the Anon. claimant is telling the truth, I'm even less convinced that the outage was not the result of some form of crack.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Again...

Again we see anonymous shown to be liars. Colour me not shocked at all.

I don't have a problem believing this, I've seen similar several times.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Re: Again...

An anonymous commenter says that anonymous lies? Who are you trying to kid?

2. Alan W. Rateliff, II
      Paris Hilton

Taken for face value, remember that it wasn't Anonymous who took credit for the outage, but rather an individual who identifies with Anonymous. More of the "lone wolf," if you will.

With everything going on, there could be a number of lies and trolling happening right now so none of us can really speak with authority on what transpired.

Paris, speaking without authority.

1. Aaron Em

And who,

might you suggest, could "speak with authority" for Anonymous?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

But that's the problem with anonymous, someone is anonymous if they say they are and no-one can say they're not because there is no official spokesman.

1. nuked
          Boffin

Why is that a problem?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anonymous over-rated

These social misfits think quite higly of themselves. I'm sure that will change when they get to prison.

5. Captain DaFt

Not hacked, just naughty IT

According to my source*, the cause of the outage was a mis-communication with the IT dept., which had been outsourced to an Indian company, which had outsourced the contract to the Phillipines, which had outsourced the contract to Slovenia, which had outsourced the contract to Mexico, which, in turn, had outsourced the contract to 8 year old Billy Waterspoon of England, who currently isn't allowed to use the computer because he was fighting with his sister.

Go Daddy expects all services back to normal by Friday, when Billy's punishment is over, unless it's extended because Billy won't eat his greens.

*Pulled from my ass.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I do not use GoDaddy DNS services. I have a virtual server hosted with them and that one could not be reached by it's IP address during the problem. This was clearly something else than just the DNS service being down since traceroute or ping to my IP did not work.

The 10 year old script kiddie who took "credit" probably thought his downloaded scripts did the damage.

1. Captain Scarlet
      Coffee/keyboard

The canned statement said a Router table corrupt.

7. JaitcH
    FAIL

Obviously ...

BigDaddy is not too big to fail.

Obviously they didn't think their PR line out too carefully.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like