back to article Apple hoards LTE patents to deflect Samsung attack

Apple has been hoarding LTE patents in a bid to head off a possible legal attack from fierce rival Samsung on its forthcoming iPhone 5, according to reports from Korea. Apple has gone from holding zero LTE patents last year to having 318 filed away today. That's around five per cent of the world’s total, today, the Korea …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There's a pretty fair spread of LTE patent holders at the moment that each will have to pay the other royalties. No one company owns enough that they won't have to pay the other to use them.

Still there is always a fool that will try to start a war.......

1. Shagbag

Software Patents = Retardedness in the Extreme

It's bad enough that the US now has to contend with The Hogan running around telling everyone who'll listen what such a bad job he and the jury did, but it detracts from the real issue in the US: Abusing Patent Law to gain a market advantage.

We saw it with IBM. We still see it with Microsoft. We now see it with Apple. Are we really going to see it with Samsung?

FFS USA, get your house in order. Bitch.

1. Shagbag

"patent expert Florian Mueller"

WTF? That guy has been discredited so many times it saddens me to see El Reg giving him a (lone) voice.

1. Anonymous Coward
          FAIL

Re: "patent expert Florian Mueller"

Maybe we need an option 'get less from this author' for the lazy idiots who quote mueller.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: "patent expert Florian Mueller"

So we can expect Samsung to do the opposite of such an "expert" opinion, it's similar to taking investment advice from a boiler room operative

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Software Patents = Retardedness in the Extreme

Where do we sew MS abusing patent law? (serious question, not troll.)

1. Shagbag

Like Apple over the last few years, Microsoft has been FUDing about its patent portfolio, but for decades.

Microsoft FUDs about Linux 'breaching' 213 of Microsoft's Patents. It has never sued (and there is a lot of speculation as to why is hasn't) and it has never specifically identified exactly what patents those 213 are.

Instead it has used its Patent FUD to extract 'protection money' from many organisations that use Linux (and not Windows) in their products.

Both Apple and Microsoft have a vested interest in NOT fixing the US Patent system. They both currently use it as a weapon against their competitors.

1. AlbertH

It's a good thing that the US is such a small part of the global market. The big players can safely ignore the US and their asinine patent litigation - it doesn't apply in any of the rest of the world. US law does not extend beyond the borders of the USA, and the rest of us are happy enough to forego that quite minor market altogether. The Americans need to realise this!

The Americans can have all the Apples and Windows rubbish - the rest of us will get on with secure operating systems, desktops, tablets and phones that work properly. Neither Apple nor Microsoft have realised that their products just provide poor proprietary clients for a Unix world, and they're getting left way behind.

If the American corporations insist on trying to use patents rather than innovative and effective products as their way to get market share, they'll just turn into an even more insignificant backwater than they are now. The big markets are China and India - even Europe presents a bigger market than the USA! We just don't need the grief!

2. fandom

"Microsoft FUDs about Linux 'breaching' 213 of Microsoft's Patents. It has never sued"

They did sue TomTom and Barnes & Noble.

Although suing B&N cost them 300 million dollars.

3. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

The FAT32 patent was deemed valid and that's the one they use against Android and Linux vendors.

But then I don't know what is more stupid, suing people for not licencing the patent or the Linux/embedded community for not moving away from FAT32 or working around the patent.

3. tirk
        Unhappy

How prophetic was this headline then? http://adr9.home.comcast.net/~adr9/MG/Pic/MP1f4.jpg

(Disclaimer - I used to work for Applied Data Research, and still think time limited patents, held by the inventors of genuinely new and significant techniques are reasonable, especially where FRAND applies.)

4. Ru
        Meh

LTE is a radio networking technology. LTE patents are therefore likely to encompass an awful lot of radio hardware. They probably also cover signal encoding techniques and network management, at a guess.

I'm not totally sure where software patents ended up in this argument, but none of the above are purely software based.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Exactly, it's a hardware patent and given everyone needs to use it the patent needs to be licenced on a FRAND basis.

Also, you should be allowed to launch the product without having a licence agreement in place since the chips in question are not made by the vendor. If Apple, Google, RIM or anyone else is just a customer for a network chip then it's hardly that they've developed the technology. It's taking a licence out just like you might buy a licence for a piece of software.

5. a_been
        Black Helicopters

Samsung tried abusing the patent system in the trial vs Apple, where they wanted to get paid twice for the same FRAND SEP patents. Apple have never been accused of abusing any FRAND SEP patents which is why Samsung and not Apple is being investigated in Europe and the USA over patent abuse.

It seems strange that you accuse a company that isn't being investigated while ignoring those who are, Samsung and Motorola.

1. Dr. Mouse

"Samsung tried abusing the patent system in the trial vs Apple"

Possibly true. I am not saying 2 wrongs make a right, but I have seen a lot of abuse of the patent system by Apple, too. Not abuse of patents, IMHO, but abuse of the patent system (by patenting things which should not be patented, mostly because of prior art).

"they wanted to get paid twice for the same FRAND SEP patents."

I don't know the full details, but IIRC Samsung put a clause in their license agreement saying the license couldn't be passed on. This does seem sneaky, but surely the HW mfrs should have checked this.

After this, when Apple tried to negotiate a license (which shows that they knew they needed a license) they rejected the terms (fees). This means they do not have a license. They are selling infringing equipment. If they think the terms offered are not FRAND, they should be taking Samsung to court over it, not just ignoring it and selling infringing devices.

"Apple have never been accused of abusing any FRAND SEP patents"

As far as I know, this is because they haven't, until recently, had many.

I do think Samsung are being twunts, but no more so than Apple.

1. ptmmac

Apple has tried to license all of Samsungs patents through litigation. That does not mean they agree with any use of those patents. The jury may have made mistakes. They were not wrong about the doctrine of exhaustion. Samsung does not get to double dip especially with Frand patents.

2. Raphael
    FAIL

Why on earth

do you insist on quoting Florian Mueller?

His opinion's on Android are worthless.

1. toadwarrior
      Thumb Down

Re: Why on earth

I'm glad that everything has to be about android for you. But no one cares.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Any opinion on Android is worthless.

3. Philip Lewis
      WTF?

I thought the article was about LTE/4G?

4. batfastad
      Headmaster

Arrrrggghhhh. Apostrophe failure!

3. Thorne
    WTF?

Samsung must be reasonable but it's fine for Apple not to be.

1. toadwarrior

One is concerning frand patents and one is not. If your patents deal with a standard then yes you must be more reasonable because it's a standard and therefore you can use it to bullly others. It's not a hard concept to grasp.

1. MrXavia
        Thumb Down

@toadwarrior

That is a very interesting point,

IF you accept that Apples software/UI patents are indeed valid, (Which I don't) then due to its popularity, and considering the ignorance of the general population, many of them should be part of a de-facto standard, and licensed under FRAND.

Now personally I would have laughed Apple out of the patent office with most of their patents, but unfortunately the people who approve the patents are not experts in the field they are approving the patents for.. I.E. you need a software expert to say 'this is obvious' when it comes to software.

Like me I bet many coders are shocked apple were granted many patents, half the time I hear of a software patent dispute I realise either I or a friend at college had done something at college nearly identical, but being students patents were not even a thought..

I see Samsung winning an Appeal, maybe not 100% of a win, but a win...

Personally I wont use Apple 'i' products, I hate the UI, the settings are pathetic, and the app store is an unreliable joke..

So Apple can drop their 'lost sales' argument by 4 devices,

oh and I do own an iPad, that is why I know how crap they are! perfect for a 2 year old, but even my 5 year old prefers Android!

1. Steve Todd
          Stop

Re: @toadwarrior

You're not understanding what FRAND is. It's a voluntary commitment by a company involved in the standards setting process. Most standards require that any IP used in the standard must be free or available under FRAND terms so that the owners can't hold the market hostage.

You can't force a company to make its patents FRAND just because a particular technology is popular and lots of people are copying it.

2. a_been

Re: @MrXavia

"but unfortunately the people who approve the patents are not experts in the field they are approving the patents for."

I suspect they know a lot more than you do, BTW Google is VERY popular, why arn't you screeming for their search patents and algorithems to be licensed under FRAND?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mueller is NOT an expert...

He has no formal training in the areas he pontificates on. If I put a white coat on that does not make me a scientist or a doctor..

Why do you keep quoting him?

1. Alex Rose

Re: Mueller is NOT an expert...

"Why do you keep quoting him?"

Because it keeps people like you coming onto the site to right comments like that and provide page impressions to generate advertising revenue for the site owners so they can pay themselves and pay their staff and keep the business running.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

@ Alex

The article is troll-bait enough. Given that Mr Mueller has recently had to admit that he gets paid for blogging by Oracle the objection about quoting him unqualified is perfectly valid. Instead of "patent expert" it should have said "paid patent blogger".

1. Alex Rose

@ Charlie Clark

Hey, don't shoot the messenger. I was just giving a truthful answer to the question :)

P.S. Apologies to the readers of the Reg, my family and my English teacher for my mispelling of the word "write" in my initial post.

5. Oliver Mayes

Is anyone else disgusted that the 'rights' to produce certain technologies are being bought and sold by soulless corporations purely to be used alternately as legal defense and ammunition?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Apple, Google, IBM, Microsoft and others all do it.

So nobody you can buy a phone from is innocent of it.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sadly

Sadly, no I'm not because the alternative is that small companies and lone inventors have no protection or ability to sell inventions they can't afford to implement. It would also halt purchase of smaller companies by larger ones.

1. william 10

Re: Sadly

This is often an argument put forward, but in most cases is false. When it comes to software development "Trade Secrets and Copyright" offers very good cheap/straight forward protection - I have yet to see a software patent that cannot be implemented by the smallest company, this may be an issue in other industries but this is not the case for the Software industry.

Please note, the software industry is closer to the publishing industry and the lack of Patents did not prevent a single parent becoming one of the UK's richest people.

2. Dr. Mouse

Re: Sadly

"the alternative is that small companies and lone inventors have no protection or ability to sell inventions they can't afford to implement. It would also halt purchase of smaller companies by larger ones."

I would beg to differ.

IMHO, a patent should only ever be granted to an individual: the inventor. That patent should be owned by the inventor for the rest of his life*, but may be licensed to companies.

While not a perfect answer, I believe this would help the patent system.

*Possibly extended beyond the life of the inventor, as long as it is inheritted by another individual.

6. paulc
    WTF?

Anyone else wondering what LTE stands for???

article failed as it did not expand the acronym first before using it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Anyone else wondering what LTE stands for???

IIRC, LTE is a phone technology faster than 3G but but quite a bit slower than 4G known as 3G+ in some constituencies.

1. Spudbynight

Nope, LTE is 4G

HSDPA+ is what some refer to as 3.5G or 3G+ (Or T-Mobile in the US sell as 4G)

1. Steve Todd
          Stop

Still wrong. The original definition of 4G was 100Mbit or faster in a mobile device. LTE in its current form does not meet that. After pressure from the mobile companies the ITU said you could call HSPA+ or faster 4G.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

"Long Term Evolution" - the shift to IP (internet protocol) based communication for both data and voice communications.

3. AceRimmer

Thanks for asking that!

Definite article fail in neglecting to have at least 1 sentence explaining or expanding it

4. Giles Jones Gold badge

4G, 3G etc is just an indication of the generation of the product, much like the generation of games consoles. It's just a rough estimate of the timeframe of a product release.

The XBox 360 and the Nintendo Wii are both in the same generation of games consoles yet the Wii is vastly inferior in terms of graphics. So the generation is not an indication of quality.

3G for the UK and EU is UTMS, that is the proper name for the system.

4G in the US is LTE and in the UK 4G will be LTE as well, but there is Mobile WiMAX as well.

1. Kristian Walsh Silver badge

It used to be fairly well defined, but then ITU bowed (caved in) to pressure from network operators who wanted to push "n+1 G" systems, whereas the generations had previously been defined primarily by signalling and network features.

Anyway, this was what I worked off way back when I had anything to do with telecoms:

0G. Radiotelephone

1G. Analogue, circuit switched voice with automated signalling [ TACS, NMT ]

2G. Digital modulation, security, circuit-switched voice & data (2.5G added GPRS packet-switched data) [ GSM (global), CDMAone (US, Korea), D-AMPS (US), PDC (Japan) ]

3G. Digital, circuit switched voice and video applications + packet-switched data [ UMTS (global), WCDMA2000 (US, Korea) ]

4G. Fully packet-switched networks for voice and data. [LTE Advanced (global) ]

LTE (not "LTE-Advanced") isn't quite 4G: it's the last step between 3G and 4G networks. It's fully packet switched, but doesn't meet other performance criteria set by the ITU for a "True 4G" network.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"WCDMA2000 (US, Korea)" And AFAIK, at least AU (KDDI) uses CDMA2000 or a variant.

7. J. R. Hartley

Pfft

Can I just take this chance to say I really, really, really, really despise Apple and can't wait until karma hits them hard. Complete assholes!!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Pfft

Large chip you carry on your little shoulders.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You used the same quote a couple of days ago.....

Word for word regurgitation?

1. J. R. Hartley

Yes.

1. Anonymous Coward
          FAIL

Can I just take this chance to say I really, really, really, really despise Samsung and really enjoyed karma hitting them hard. Complete assholes!!

8. Pen-y-gors
    WTF?

How many patents???

"Apple has gone from holding zero LTE patents last year to having 318 filed away today. That's around five per cent of the world’s total" - or in other words there are about 6000 patents floating around to do with LTE/4G.

How the fck can there be over 6000 non-trivial patents involved in something like LTE? It's a wireless transmission protocol. Patents are intended to protect the commercial interests of inventors, not people who decide to paint the box a different colour.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Re: How many patents???

Given the fact that patent offices don't seem to bother with prior art I wouldn't be surprised if 2000 of them just cover various wordings of "allowing the human voice to be transmitted between two devices over a long distance"

2. JetSetJim
      Boffin

Go to www.3gpp.org and read them. At the radio interface, just one protocol doc (RRC - TS 36.331) is a 1,000+page of dense technical gobbledegook. Then there's all the other LTE protocol layers to consider - both at the radio layer and in between different network nodes.

Yes, a lot of it is based off of UMTS (3G) standards, but each of the infrastructure/handset vendors put a lot of effort into working out every last nuance of the protocol, and each essential patent can cover just one of those tiny nuances. There's a website somewhere (buried in the ITU one, I think) that allows you to work out how many essential patents there are (as declared by each company). 6,000 patents isn't many, when you consider all that - although I wonder how many essential patents for LTE are carried forward from UMTS.

1. JetSetJim

Meh - the IPR database sits in the ETSI site:

http://ipr.etsi.org/SearchIPRD.aspx

There's an "industry analysis" here, also: http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2012/09/04/2012090400833.html?ystfuv

The stuff that Apple got from Nortel might not have much value, but the stuff they got from Freescale might be a bit more valuable.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@JetSetJim - Re: How many patents???

So, if each of those 6000 patents is FRAND and it requires a payment of let's say a reasonable 0.1% from the final price of the phone, that will add up to 600% - you must keep breathing, please! Then you still have to pay for the non-essential square-with-rounded-corners patents and so on. Then you'd better put aside some money for an unforeseen patent infringement lawsuit brought to you courtesy of a troll who couldn't be bothered to publish the list of patents it owns. Now can Mr. patent-lover Orlowski come up to explain us how is this going to encourage a phone manufacturer to come up with new models and keep doing its business instead of just milking the world+dog Microsoft style with the patents it already owns ?

1. JetSetJim

Re: @JetSetJim - How many patents???

Not all of those patents will impact the phone, for a start, but your point will still stand as the bulk of them will be in that arena. It mostly makes it difficult for new entrants to get into the market as the patent piles are, in general, traded between the players (e.g. Samsung says to Nokia "you can use these 500 patents if I can use those 500", but probably a bit more detailed than that) so the existing players probably end up paying less than 600% of the phone cost (assuming 0.1% of final phone "value" is a fair licensing term - I don't know the limits of FRAND). This basically means that the existing players are encouraged to come up with as big a pile of patents as possible to be used in this trading process (so there's some innovation there) while they are working towards writing the new standards.

Overall, I am not sure what the cost might be as a "tech start up", with nothing but a pile of cash and a desire to make a decent phone, to license the entire essential patent pool just so the phone will work with the various disparate networks (GSM, UMTS, HSPA, LTE) out there. Certainly the cost of some of the chipsets that are out there include that licensing cost, which probably accounts for a lot of the patents (but that's just my unproven assertion based on working in the industry without ever seeing pricing of such things). My rough understanding of one of the Apple-Google/Motorola disputes is that Googorola licensed the FRAND stuff to the chipset manufacturer who then sold on to Apple. Apple claimed that gave them a license, Moto disagreed (I've got no idea who is correct in this disagreement, or even if I've got the right end of the stick in describing it).

Or, sticking a mock-Fandroid hat on, you can just implement the standards in a new phone (they're well documented, after all) and not bother to enter negotiations for FRAND licensing - just sell the phone while patenting the non-essential, non-FRAND-liable things that make your new shiny special despite them being either obvious or otherwise trivial (or even already implemented in others devices) - and then abuse the legal system to throw your weight around and get market share while not really contributing to innovation in the standards. </iExtremism>

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Another flo-job

Why serve as a mouthpiece for this guy.?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is just ridiculous. No wonder the endless legal battles go on.

Apple didn't invent LTE and they didn't invent mobile phones.

How the hell can there be hundreds of patents available for just making an LTE capable phone?

It is just STUPID!

11. g e
    Holmes

What it presumably shows

Is that apple know Samsung (in this case) have grounds to sue them and are expecting it. Presumably for not stumping up IP cash. Again.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Re: What it presumably shows

Would that be the IP cash that was already paid to the Intel/Infineon, who had already licensed the patents? You Sametards are always way too loose with the facts.

12. Glostermeteor

*sigh*.......how very sad that all our tech companies are focusing on lawyers and not technological innovation, they all need to seriously grow up. The moment that a court strikes down all these ridiculous patents that limit innovation and advancement the better off we'll all be. If Tim Berners-Lee had patented the World Wide Web instead of giving it away for the good of humanity, Apple, Microsoft, Samsung and others would not even exist, if only they would follow his example.....

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple needs some help

The latest thing the Apple v Samsung foreman said is that they NEVER CON SIDERED THE VAILIDITY OF THE APPLE PATENTS

http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20120904190933195

This is not admissable evidence, unfortunately, but I am sure Samsung can use that when seeking to get the verdict set aside.

And should be pointed out to the self-0righteous Apple fanbois for whom Apple is the only source, apparently, of innovation

1. Steve Todd
      Stop

Re: Apple needs some help

You're really going to have to read wider than Groklaw if you want to understand the Samsung-Apple case properly. The jury DID consider the validity of all of the patents in question (both Apple's and Samsung's) and decided that both sets of patents were valid, but only Apple's patents were infringed. This has been made clear in multiple interviews.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Apple still needs needs some help

Go to the horse's mouth

"Demon-Xanth:

Did you have the opportunity to ask "Is this something that should be patentable?" during the trial?"

Velvin Hogan @Demon-Xanth

"No, however it was not the function of this jury to ask that. We were bound to use the law as it is today. The patents were issued the judge instructed us not to second guess the current patent system. "

The foreman says it, they did not question the validity of the patents

1. Steve Todd
          Stop

Part of the defence of each company was that the patents of the other weren't valid for assorted reasons (prior art being the obvious one). The jury had to decide if those arguments were valid or not, but not to consider the philosophical question of patentability. The assumption was that, under the current rules, the patent was grant-able but could be invalidated with the right evidence.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
          Facepalm

> "No, however it was not the function of this jury to ask that. We were bound to use the law as it is today.

Doesn't know what a jury is about.

2. Arclight

Wanhang:

Why did you choose to ignore prior art despite it being a legitimate claim?

Velvin Hogan @Wanhang

I is not ignore prior art yes it was legitimate, however it was not interchangeable therefore it did not invalidate Apples patents....Under the current law the prior art must be among other things interchangeable. the prior art sighted even Samsung does not currently use. Read the law and the statues covering Prior art.

For someone who claims to know what he's talking about in such cases, he might want to learn the difference between 'sighted' and 'cited'

1. tom dial Silver badge

Mr. Hogan's statement, if properly quoted, suggests he holds himself an expert on patent law and possibly claimed that during jury discussions. If I recall the Judge's instructions from my own jury experience, that would be serious misbehavior indeed.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Since the validity of the patents was central to the entire case, were the jury properly directed if, as their foreman states, they did not consider the validity of the patents?

It's a flipping joke, quite frankly.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yes. The nury instructions made it clear that the jury as to consider the validity of the Apple patents.

Instead, they seem to have gone

- the patents were granted therefore are valid

- do the Samsung products cross over with Apple

If so then Samsung us guilty

Even on the crossover the jury seems to have screwed up

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

US education comes out of this looking worse than either party to the case.

14. Andrew Lobban
    WTF?

5%

To be fair, if Apple have 5% of the LTE patents then i'd hardly class that as hoarding. What percentage do Nokia have, Samsung, Google, Microsoft etc.

Also, how the hell can there be 6000 patents on LTE?! Surely that should be a standard and not patentable at all??

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: 5%

Surely that should be a standard and not patentable at all??

Lots of standards depend on patents but I guess it's an indication of how much recent court cases have skewed the debate.

Done correctly standards encourage patent owners to pool their resources and, therefore their patents, to ensure interoperability. This is, after all, why patents are supposed to exist: not for hoarding but for sharing. This has worked very well with the GSM shepherded development of mobile phone technology which is has emerged as the dominant standard around the world - other forms were manufacturer-driven and usually limited to individual markets. Interoperability was mandated by the EU as a requirement for mobile phone networks. The standards allowed manufacturers to get a fair return on the work they put into essential parts of the standard, they earn a tiny cut but on every device in a growing market, without pricing other companies completely out of the market.

15. Joe K

Apple and Samsung

If Samsung really wanted to hurt Apple wouldn't they just stop making their central iOS processors and stop supplying flash chips?

That'd fuck up Apple's entire business overnight. Cutting off your nose to spite your face, sure, but i think they're beyond common sense now.

1. J. R. Hartley

Re: Apple and Samsung

I doubt it would be that simple unfortunately.

2. Kebablog
      FAIL

Re: Apple and Samsung

Samsung stop supplying one of their largest customers - yeah that would be a good decision.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is this a workable move by Samsung?

Essentially they'll be suing Apple for reselling a Broadcom chip. Surely Apple can then claim it's not they who are infringing.

17. Tom 7

I guess this means Apple are running scared

Since Mueller is a paid shill I guess Apple are paying him to try and head Samsung off.

He's got a pretty good record of being completely and utterly wrong all the time so I guess Apple should be running scared if they didn't pay him

18. Dave 15

Patents once again being used for ill

Basically if we are to have any consumer choice for devices to connect to each other then we need standards not patents. The current patent situation means we must inevitably end up with a beta vs vhs type scenario, and eventually we will probably end up with second best.

Patents were a good idea when used to protect real ground breaking ideas. Now they are used to keep other people from implementing compatible equipment.

19. ukgnome
    Stop

perspective people, please

We won't be getting 4G in the UK for a while (except in certain experimental Orange areas).

Hardly going to shape the products of the UK

20. DEAD4EVER
    Stop

stuff apple

all I can say is stuff america and apple as long as those phones are available in the EU ie UK for me then i am happy to help increase android even further its the best OS ever period. we don't need america and there stupid patent crap anyway hell if I wanted to I could buy half a dozen android phones to rub it in lol. don't care what apple do in the future I will never touch any of there products I am sure I can find a cheaper alternative that works just as well if not better least I wont be locked down and forced to use crappy iTunes. oh yea all those sad apple fan boy idiots will cue up outside apple stores just to get a iPhone 5 thinking its the best phone ever which in fact its playing catch up, Samsung is no 1 end of and apple freaks cant admit it cause there so blind they cant see past that apple logo. io6 wont amke any difference it will be the same os with maybe some fixes that will be it. it will be the same old dated OS since the 3g and 3gs.

1. Toothpick
      Stop

Re: stuff apple

I'm sure you posted practically the same in another thread.

Can anyone translate because trying to read this is really hard going

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That's what you get when when you let intellectually challenged people loose with a keyboard.

2. Steve Todd

Best as I can figure out it translates as :

RANT, RAGE, I HATE APPLE.

Anyone who buys the iPhone 5 is stupid, I'm going to prove this by buying half a dozen Android phones.

It doesn't answer the question of why you would want half a dozen Android phones or why decently specced devices are little if any cheap than the iPhone.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Learn to write. It's ironic that you call others 'idiots'.

21. Mark .

So where was this guy's advice when Apple decided to force Samsung's products out the market? His comments make sense for a fair market, but sorry, the patent war has already started.

Where have things been made worse for Apple? Where is the antitrust response?

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

El Reg, Take 1000 lines

Florian Meuller is not a Patent Expert. He is a paid for shill.

Repeat this 1000 times and then go stand on the 'naughty step'.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The patent system is fundamentally flawed.

The patent system is fundamentally flawed.

In 99% of the cases it doesn't help the inventors. It only serves big corporations to bully smaller competitors.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Surely it's sufficient for the wireless chipset maker (qualcomm etc.) to license the 'technology' that Apple and others put in their phones...?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Unless we are talking about Motorola and Samsung

... both of who think exhaustion and FRAND obligations don't apply to them and that they can ignore this with respect to Apple. Samsung lost in court on this point, Motorola is being investigated.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dear Apple,

Thanks you for your recent order for chips and assorted components for your new iTWAT device, unfortunately due to recent legal expenses we have had to increase the price of our goods. This slight increase on your order equates to a mere $1billion, I trust you will find this reasonable as we have read that you recently acquired a small windfall courtesy your friend Mr Hogan.

Yours

Samsung

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Florian Mueller

Citing Florian Mueller is a clear indicator of insufficient sources and effectively undermines your credibility.

He has a strong (personal and paid) agenda and a poor track record in his "they are not predictions".

27. Lord Lien
    Joke

Just warning you all but ........

......... My gold plated butt-plug business is being sued by Apple.

Apparently they have a patent for overpriced crap for arseholes.

Sorry if this has been posed before.... some one emailed me it today & it amused me no end ;)

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Patent and copyright is just (institutionalised) cronyism

The whole idea of patents and copyright should be abolished.

If you invent a super new gizmo or write a brilliant novel/piece of fabulous music and you don't want anybody to steal it then you should keep it secret. The moment you publicise your gizmo or publish your manscript/ play your song in public it should be in the public domain.

Monopoly patents were granted by the monarch to people who did him favours/paid him gold.

Patents have no place in a free market and stifle true innovation because they raise barriers to entry.

As for the claims that stuff wouldn't be invented/written if it wasn't for the protection offered by patents etc. this is rubbish. Edison (and others) invented the light bulb because the time was right, if he had kept the idea secret, someone else would have (did) invented it.

Counterfeiting is fraud and should be dealt with in the criminal courts.

29. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The network operators have to get their two cents in here somehow since they are on the other end of the LTE link. T-mobile doesn't cater to the iphone(they are doing very well without Apple) so they have no need to use any of Apple's patents. When T-Mobile gets their LTE network going, Samsung has everything to gain.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like