back to article Kim Dotcom pressing on with Megabox music service plans

Embattled file storage mogul Kim Dotcom says his ongoing court battle with US authorities won't stop him from launching new online businesses "this year," including his planned Megabox music service and possibly even a new, Megaupload-style file sharing site. In a pair of Twitter posts on Monday, Dotcom suggested that both …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We shall see if he can deliver, if he is not a guest of the great USA?

1. laird cummings
      Meh

Prediction:

He's slimier than the US District Attorney, so will 1) fail to deliver, and 2) avoid lock-up.

2. Oli 1

I love this guy. Think big!

P. S. I do realise he is a vile excuse for a human being.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

He better watch it.

Doesn't he know that all ".com" names are under U.S. authority? Perhaps it's time to change his name to Kim Dotconz. Seems fitting.

4. Tim Roberts 1

I hope he wins this one

Regardless of what his motives or morality were in Megaupload, the bully boy antics by the NZ police egged on by various US agencies beggars belief. The morons who planned and executed same have been shown to have acted illegally and with force hugely greater than that required.

His business practices may not be all rosy but hell, how about looking at Apple, Microsoft, Google, Shell, Pfizer, GSK etc etc. Why and how do they get away with it? Simple, they have politicians an other powerful people in their pockets.

5. Senior Ugli
    FAIL

Megabox does sound promising...I love services like bandcamp, and use it for my music. if the artist profit margin can be improved any more then thats a positive. As he says it would be great to cut out the record label suits and then they can see if they would pay through the teeth for an album when they are on a normal wage/struggling to pay their bills

6. Tony Paulazzo
    Alien

>The outspoken Dotcom even went as far as to suggest that the impending launch of Megabox, with the potential threat it represents to the recording industry, was the real reason behind the US government's legal campaign against his companies.<

I believe it, and it's seriously gonna piss off his enemies if he pulls it off.

"Everyone can see what's going on. Hollywood is in control of politics and has imported their action-filled movie scripts into the real world."

True dat!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Well there must be a reason the powers-that-be went so hard against Dotcom and MegaUpload whilst completely ignoring Rapidshare; amongst others.

7. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

I'm not behind him

I don't know anything about the man except that as far as anyone knows, he is an innocent one. He failed to do what he was told by a politically stacked criminally backed hegemony and has suffered for it. I am against what happened to him because it happens to a lot more people than him who really are innocents.

And I hate that sort of thing.

He is unlikely to tear anyone in the USA a new backside but I wish.

I am against all forms of tyranny. I think most of us are. Maybe that's what he meant. But there is a big difference between seeing something going bad, speaking up against it and actually doing something productive. Which is why I wish him well.

1. Senior Ugli

Re: I'm not behind him

looking at the size of him I think most people are behind him, more so in a literal sense

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is he pushing his luck?

If Mr. Dotcom facilitates piracy he most definitely will go to prison.

1. Escape Velocity
      Paris Hilton

Re: Is he pushing his luck?

I completely agree. If he breaks from house arrest, comandeers a 50ft. vessel and crew and starts boarding tourist cruises, shaking people down for their paypal accounts and smartphones, then he will definitely go to prison.

However I'm afraid the U.S. DoJ has completely screwed the case they are chasing now. Scumbag or no, its incredibly ignorant to flout legal procedures and standards. What he's doing now has nothing to do with charges already laid. They will have to start all over.

I predict the case will be dropped in early 2013 when it is revealed that U.S. government agents flew in and disconnected servers pell-mell before anyone reasoned out the differences between direct and cloud storage systems, and that they have no hope of recovering auditable file evidence in the near future without the support of defendants IT staff.

9. RICHTO
    Mushroom

Yes it's terrible when someone has no respect for the law, due process or someone else's property.

Presumably Kim dot Com will site his servers in a more law abiding and democratic country next time and avoid the USA.....

10. sueme2
    Terminator

house arrest?

I think he is sort of free to wander. The pigs claimed that he had a couple of NZ speeding tickets. He has lost a passport of three, but that is not "house arrest" You could try for a swim with kim and get it first hand. But stay away from the internets, they send in SWAT teams for being that offensive. The NZ pigs want to prove to the FBI that they are up to the task, hence the use of big guns against little children. This might also explain why he got residency but then they refused to allow him to buy his pad. You should note he has only been accused of criminality in the Hollywood dream factory, geographically that does not extend as far as Auckland, New Zealand.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just a wild guess...

...but I'm guessing Mr. Dotcom is going to have an unfortunate accident.

This topic is closed for new posts.