back to article Chinese Twitter shuttered during murder trial

One of China’s largest Twitter-like platforms, Sina Weibo, suffered widespread problems on Thursday afternoon leaving users unable to post or comment on the site just as the high profile murder trial of Gu Kailai, wife of ousted Politburo member Bo Xilai, kicked off. Users across the platform complained that they couldn’t post …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. AdamWill

subhead?

"Wife of party official plied Brit with booze, then poison, as revenge for deal gone wrong"

it seems rather...bold to print accusations of anything this serious and sensitive that happened in China as a fact, unless you have gold-plated video footage or something. A one-day trial seems hardly worth accepting as the kind of legal proof news organizations usually consider necessary before printing something like that as a definite statement, rather than an allegation or possibility...

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: subhead?

She did not contest the allegations.

C.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

She didn't contest the allegations, but then in the next para it's said that she plead guilty. I was under the impression that these are different things?

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

I think that's a matter of translating from what we consider to be the Chinese justice system, to an English equivalent.

I also think that it is a rotten way to run a trial but she probably did do it, although she may not have very willingly "not contested" the charge. A British businessman fooling around with politically powerful people in China shoualdn't be surprised when he turns up dead in the middle of an apparent botched cover-up, so quite possibly it serves him right. I mean, look at Mark Thatcher.

1. AdamWill

Really, my point is that it seems impossible to be entirely sure of what the hell happened given the murky circumstances, so printing anything as a bald fact is going a bit far.

2. AdamWill

Er...but you write in the last sentence:

"It's believed the guilty plea itself was forced as part of an attempt to limit foreign media coverage of the trial"

2. Christoph
    Holmes

She did not contest the allegations

"with Gu apparently not contesting charges"

All she said was "Mmmph! Mm-mmmph! Mmmmmmph!"

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like