back to article Web crams down 7 MEEELLION more domain names

The number of registered domain names on the internet increased by 7.5 million to stand at 233 million in the first quarter of the year. That's according to Verisign, which found that the web address universe grew 11 per cent year-on-year and 3.3 per cent sequentially in Q1. The mega-registry's own mountain of .com and .net …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. dotdavid
    Paris Hilton

"In third place was the rapidly growing .tk space, which represents the tiny island nation of Tokelau and gives it domains away for free. As a result it's favoured by abusive web players. "

And cheapskates, I'll think you'll find. As a dedicated cheapskate I am offended that you would compare us scrooges to abusive web players!

1. frank ly
      Happy

So, ....

....I assume that you haven't applied to ICANN for .david

1. dotdavid
        Thumb Up

Re: So, ....

Indeed. I'll wait for the Xmas Sale I think.

2. Steve Knox
    Trollface

Percentages

88 per cent of all registered .com and .net domains resolve to an active website;

17 per cent were one-page sites (indicative of “parked” or speculative domains) and

69 per cent had multiple-page websites.

That leaves 2% of those domains resolving to active websites that cannot be said to have one page or multiple pages. Since zero pages or "unable to determine" would logically fall under "inactive" and you can't have a negative number of pages, I can only assume that these sites are in a state of quantum superposition, serving up both one-page sites and multiple-page sites at the same time.

1. Kubla Cant

Re: Percentages

Strictly speaking, any web site that delivers active content presumably has an indeterminate number of pages. If a site consists of one page that shows the current date and time, is that one page, or infinite pages? If that's one page, how about a page that shows a random number of "Hello world"s?

2. Cardinal

Re: Percentages

OK, Sheldon!

This topic is closed for new posts.