back to article HBO wants royal price for Iron Throne

Are you a Game of Thrones fan who dreams of marching an army to Kings Landing to take the Iron Throne? Dream no more. Game of Thrones, official Iron Throne replica HBO's replica of the Iron Throne from Game of Thrones is available for $30,000 (£19,367). This is quite a knock up considering it isn't made from real swords, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ian K
    Pirate

$18,000?

For their presumption they get to pay the iron price...

2. Joe K

Fuckin ell

For that price you could buy a load of cheap prop swords, and a blacksmith to meld em all together, and have a realistic one that a danger to sit on.

3. Thomas 4

Please tell me that's a typo

$18,000 for some guy to put a chair in a van, drive a few hundred kilometres and chuck it unsigned on a driveway?

I am in the wrong line of work.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's a typo

Got carried away there. Should have been $1,800. So that's alright, then.

P.S. Story now corrected.

4. xeroks

upgrade option

a nice, comfy cushion.

1. Thomas 4

Re: upgrade option

That'll be an extra $10,000.

2. Zombie Womble

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisi....Oh wait, wrong program.

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Too bad the Pythons have already made The Final Rip Off . A replica comfy chair for $30,000 would really be the ultimate ripoff.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Replica?

Is there an original somewhere? I'd have thought this is the first time it has been modeled.

6. Desk Jockey
    Gimp

I sat on the thing at a convention at Easter. George RR Martin was the guest of honour so HBO plunked it in the hotel lobby for people to pose on. I can promise you it is not worth that much! Up close it looks and feels very plastic like.

1. Graham Marsden

Yep...

... me too.

Ok, it looks cool, but, as always, the realiy doesn't match up.

20 grand? I'll pass.

7. Zombie Womble

Your living room is going to need some serious redecorating before you move that in.

1. Steven Raith
      Coat

Redecorating

Have you priced dragon skulls lately? Fat chance, it can sit beside the couch!

8. This post has been deleted by its author

9. Bill B
    Pint

Replica or original

Given that Game of Thrones is a work of fiction, isn't this the 'original' .. or is that just confusing reality with fiction?

and .. IIRC from the book, it was a bastard to sit on, cutting the unwary in various places.

Pint because .. well .. because

1. Graham Bartlett

Re: Replica or original

Not going to happen with crappy fibreglass one. Glass-fibre splinters are not quite in the same league...

10. Mike Moyle

Hmmm...

7 x 6 x 5.5'...

Well, I suppose if you can afford $30K for a chair, you can afford to have all of the doors widened so you can get the thing from the driveway to the living room.

Not for renters, then...

11. GumboKing
    Pirate

From the Book

Spookily enough, I had just read the related section last night from Game of Thrones:

Ned could feel cold steel against his fingers as he leaned forward. Between each finger was a blade, the points of twisted swords fanning out like talons from the arms of the throne. Even after three centuries, some were still sharp enough to cut. The Iron Throne was full of traps for the unwary. The songs said it had taken a thousand blades to make it, heated white-hot in the furnace breath of Balerion the Black Dread. The hammering had taken fifty-nine days. The end of it was this hunched black beast made of razor edges and barbs and ribbons of sharp metal; a chair that could kill a man, and had, if the stories could be believed.

The Fiberglass Throne doesn't quite have the same ring.

Skull sitting on swords, natch.

12. tony
    Happy

An iron throne you say, you'll get your arse cheeks stuck in the winter.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Headmaster

$30,000 worth of fiberglass??

More like the "ironic throne" then, because after buying your throne you will be as poor as a pauper.....

That said, I bet that after the beating he took at Blackwater,Stannis Baratheon wishes he had just plunked down $30K+shipping instead of spending all that money on his army/fleet. So I guess its a matter of perspective!

14. Sceptic Tank Silver badge
    Trollface

You paid how much?

The Eye of Sauron @ Mordor saw *you* coming.... (OK, different movie -- I'm not into all this fantasy hogwash.)

Whoever buys a chair like that should install it in his car - so that he can be reminded of how he got taken for a ride with that chair.

15. Torben Mogensen

Unicorn Throne

The Danish Kings used to have a throne called the "Unicorn Throne" because it was made partly of alicorns (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicorn#Alicorn), which were in reality narwhal tusks (which Denmark, being the sovereign of Greenland, had easy access to). But why say this when it was more impressive to claim they were from unicorns?

This topic is closed for new posts.