back to article R is ready for big data

Statistical analysis has been around since mainframes were introduced to academia and corporations back in the 1960s. But the great diversity of telemetry collected by systems today, the need to sift through it for insight and the growing popularity of open-source alternatives is transforming the R programming language for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Poor research

"Everybody loves R"

If you'd have bothered to ask my wife you'd know that that's not true.

1. Christian Berger

Re: Poor research

Furthermore I don't know much about R so I'm currently fairly indifferent to it. I suspect that there are even more people like me.

2. Krellmachine

I love R especially it's data.frame structures and have been using it for the last 5 years or so for data analysis and plotting.

However in that time, I never been able to persuade any fellow electronics engineers to adopt it :

95% never progress beyond the mindlessness of excel and the other 5% use MATLAB.

1. Subtilior

I like Matlab. What would you say are the advantages of R over MATLAB?

1. Munchausen's proxy
        Pint

2 big advantages of R over Matlab

A fully featured Matlab installation has a license scheme that looks like a squid having sex with a bowl of spaghetti.

Every one of those tentacles costs you an arm and a leg.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: 2 big advantages of R over Matlab

I've seen enough hentai, etc.

3. BlueGreen

More big-data-is-coming claims.

Any, like, evidence, or just spouting the marketing?

Whatever, here's some slightly weightier links. Not read them in any details as it's not my area, may be useful to others as an overview/intro.

<http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/4507>

<http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/4503>

> [...] version of the PostgreSQL database, which uses field programmable gate arrays (FPGAs) to boost its performance running on x86 clusters.

> [...] use the FPGAs to extract data stored in the warehouse rather than using the SQL database query language.

Contradictory if the 2nd part were even true, which seems most unlikely, and no link I can find to check what the original source said which I guess didn't say that. TMP joins orlowski & page as authors I can't be bothered with anymore. Sorry.

4. Armando 123

Using it here

However, we're now looking at converting to C++ so we don't have to spend as much on our cloud services and can embed it in the hardware.

We'll probably still use it for prototyping, as the research chemists love it and you can program it quickly. But it does require a lot of heavy lifting.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like