back to article Apple scrubs old Leopards of Flashback Trojan infections

Apple has released patches that defend users of its older Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard operating system against security threats. Monday's security fixes help defend Mac users stuck on the two-year-old operating system against assaults by the infamous Flashback Trojan. Users of the newer Snow Leopard (10.6) and Lion (10.7) operating …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

I HOPE THIS DOESNT OFFEND ANYONE

APOLOGIES IN ADVANCE FOR OFFENDING YOUR BRUITISH SENSIBILITIES IM GLAD APPLE HAS COME TO THEIR SENSES AND FIXED THIS MAYBE THEY NEED TO REWORK THERE WHOLE PLATFORM AND TEAM UP WITH MICROSOFT WINDOWS HAS PROVEN ITSELF TO BE RELIABLE OVER TIME WITH AN ENVIABLE TRACK RECORD FOR RESISTING HACKERS

1. ukgnome
      Headmaster

Re: I HOPE THIS DOESNT OFFEND ANYONE

. , !

are types of punctuation. Please could you at least try?

2. Ivan Headache
      FAIL

Apology not accepted.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

I HOPE THIS DOESNT OFFEND BDG

You know I've gone on record as being your biggest fan. I hope, therefore, you won't take it amiss if I offer some constructive criticism:

First off, the capitals. Majestic as ever. In fact I'm almost convinced they're even 'capitalier' than before. Have you been working out your caps-lock finger?

Punctuation is also first class and well up to your usual standards.

"BRUITISH" is exquisite. In that one word, cleverly combining 'British' and 'Brutish' you deliver more political insight than the countless volumes on British history, spewed out by lesser minds over the years could hope to achieve

However, I found "APPLE HAS COME TO THEIR SENSES" rather careless. OK. I know you hit us with the old classic "REWORK THERE WHOLE PLATFORM" straight afterwards, but I still think an opportunity was lost to get a "THEY'RE" in, as well.

Oh. What the hell! I'm just being churlish. How can I even dare to try and understand the soul-searching, mind-rending, convention-smashing artistry that goes into your every keystroke.

Sorry, BDG.

4. Big Dumb Guys Wife
      Stop

PLEASE IGNORE MY HUSBANDS RANT.

HE ONCE BIT INTO AN APPLE AND FOUND A WORM, OR WAS IT A TROJAN?

EITHER WAY THE SHOCK TURNED HIM ONTO REDMONDS FINEST SOFTWARE

2. adam payne

It's a good thing that Apple are supporting their older operating systems, but is two years really that old?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

And people whine...

..that XP wont be supported after almost 15 years in service.

2. ItsNotMe
      FAIL

Except...

...that this ONLY applies to the Intel chipped systems...and not the Power-PC chipped ones.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Err...

They released a fix for an OS released in October 2007, and this is news? Says a lot about Apple and software longevity...

1. -tim
      FAIL

Re: Err...

10.5.8 came out in Aug 2009. Its also the last OS that a vast majority of their OS X running machines can ever run. Since 10.6 offers no real additional functionality and breaks things like colour calibration, I'm sticking with 10.5.8 unless 10.5.9 should appear for some strange reason.

4. Armando 123

Five years out?

Or nigh on five years out. That's unusual for Apple. Of course, in that time, they've released twice as many OS versions and updates than MicroSoft has released unwanted vaporware ...

5. squilookle
    Thumb Down

I'm trying to find an OS disc for a Mac that came with 10.5. I started by asking in the Apple Store (being willing to pay for the disc, within reason) and the chap about flipped out because the computer was "vintage".

I'd actually prefer it if they just came out and said "Your computer is old" than using euphemisms like "vintage". As it goes though, the hardware is fine, but won't run a newer version of OSX. I could probably put some flavour of Linux on it and give it a second life but it's main job is to run iTunes.

The fact the update has been released is great, but the fact it is news sums up how poor the support is.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Err...

I had to explain to an Apple "Genius" what a PPC machine was when I was trying to get hold of 10.5, they couldn't accept that I didn't want to go to 10.6...

2. Snapper
      Thumb Down

Oh please.....

eBay

It's been around some time.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why are Apple consumers so Ill informed about their purchases?

AH, Shiny Shiny, Of course!

7. Nell Hansen
    Meh

Lion was updated last week

Currently running 10.7.4. Or was the article referring to a future update, 10.7.5 maybe? 10.8?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Old Macs

My friend has a perfectly serviceable Macbook, maybe 3-4 years old (and in much better nick than my 2 year-old Dell!) but it won't run Lion, so she's "stuck" on using Snow Leopard.

MS would never get away with such dismissive behaviour towards customers who've spent the better part of a grand on their wares.

1. jubtastic1
      Stop

Re: Old Macs

All the Core2Duo MacBooks will run 10.7, which is all of them shipped after November 2006, the reason your friend can't install it is because they've got less than 2GB of RAM, I'd go with a 4GB upgrade though unless you have some sort of disease that makes the world appear to speed past in a blur.

But for that "feels like brand new" feeling you cannot beat an SSD, and 128GB drives are getting pretty cheap now.

As an aside, RAM and HD's are piss easy to change in those old MacBooks.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It's already got 4GB of RAM and a 500GB HD now (thanks to me). The reason it won't run Lion is to do with the trackpad or something like that..?

1. jubtastic1

Older trackpads don't get all the gestures, mine only does two finger scrolling for example but that won't stop Lion from installing. I'd give it another go and google the error message if it fails again.

9. Gis Bun
    Alien

Watch 10.8 have the same problem! [OK, unlikely... but you never know with Apple!]

This topic is closed for new posts.