back to article HP opens up public cloud to public beta

As El Reg told you it would a month ago, Hewlett-Packard today has opened up its HP Cloud Services public cloud – aka HP Cloud because by definition a cloud is a service, right? – for a full-on beta onslaught from John Q Public. The HP Cloud is based on the company's ProLiant rack servers and various HP storage and switches, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Nate Amsden

no resource pooling?

What? no resource pooling? in 2012 ? To put it bluntly - how lame. One of amazon's biggest failings is lack of resource pooling, and HP is going that route too? All of those fixed sizes for VMs is quite archaic as well(same goes to Amazon - fixed instance sizes are reminiscent of the 90s and physical servers!), should be able to specify whatever value I want for cpu/ram/disk, and be able to change them whenever I want. Bonus points if you can both hot add *and* remove memory and cpu and disk from the VMs w/o application impact.

Hopefully HP can provide at least better support vs Amazon, and a better service(which sucks at both when it comes to IaaS), but am not holding my breath.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anyone else find it strange...

that HP is getting so much press about this public cloud. Amazon and IBM have had similar offerings with a larger portfolio of software and service models for years.

3. Stephen Channell
    Meh

and what about Azure?

HP was supposed to be an alternate source for Azure hosting.. and "promised" it years ago.. meanwhile MS built Linux support into Azure.. presumably so that Azure IAAS play in HP's space.

Does this mean Azure is dead or that HP is playing ubber-hardball over licencing?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like