back to article Ultimate simulator to streak into living rooms next month

Avid fans of simulators may want to save their wages - and then some - for the TL1 Racing Flight and FPS Simulator, which shoots into (large) living rooms this June. Manufactured in co-operation with fast-car maker Ariel, the TL1 is said to house the world's first 180° spherical projector screen and variable driving position …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nice perm

Vixen could be Judith Hann's granddaughter though. (I blame this post on overexposure to Tomorrow's World as a youth)

2. Ian McNee
    Meh

Eleven and a half grand?

A mere snip compared to the cost of the alterations to your house required to get it through the front door, along the hall and down the stairs into mom's basement...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Eleven and a half grand?

Did you actually read the article?

1. Ian McNee
        Pint

Re: Eleven and a half grand?

Apparently not :-)

3. jai

friend of mine has already done this with three PS3's, three HD projectors and three projector screens - all in his living room. Cost a lot less than 11.5k, but admittedly the total screen isn't seamless. And the only game that really supports the three view is Gran Turismo.

1. Dan 10

Hmmm

I'll bet he's single.

4. Andrew James

At that price its not going to be streaking into very many living rooms, is it?

5. Ol'Peculier

And then...

You've got to add the cost of the PC/console to this too...

Think I'll just spend a few quid down on the seafront arcade instead.

1. Andrew James

Re: And then...

If you say your average turn on an arcade driving game is maybe 10 minutes ... and costs you £2 ... thats 5,750 turns on the arcade for the same price as this one to have at home.

So you could play in the arcade for half an hour a day for about 50 years before you spent more than the cost of this thing.

1. Andrew James

Questionable maths i know.

1. Ol'Peculier
          Unhappy

Don't worry, you've got to add VAT to these prices too...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Gimp

You been in an arcade lately? They are full of fruit machines and crane grab games! Sadly the days of seaside arcades being full of cutting edge gaming hardware are long gone. These days you'll be lucky to find a knackered Daytona machine and a few generic shooters with worse graphics than the Xbox you have at home.

[goes misty eyed at the memory of going into Southsea arcade circa 1986 and seeing Space Harrier hydraulic cab for the first time. Jaw dropping. Let alone the queue to get on it!!!!]

1. Andrew James

must depend which arcades you go in. They might not be bleeding edge, but the bowling/laser place near me has plenty of decent racing games and shooters.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Does the totty come with it too?

And, if so, is there a USB Groin Attachment ?

7. EddieD

We're all doomed...

I remember doing something similar using 3 machines linked via IPX and 3 VGA projectors - you could start doom with "right" "left" and "center" - though the buggers took it out of later versions, it was really good fun...

This looks like equal fun, but a tad harder to either afford, or fit into my "compact and bijou" apartment...

8. Tom_

I wonder...

I wonder at which stage in the design, prototype, build process they realised they'd invented a massive helmet and could probably make an actual helmet with a visor/screen for about 10% of the price.

9. Joe 48
    Thumb Up

Amazing kit

Had a go on this at the Gadget show this year. Amazing experience. Lottery win only for me though.

10. Tom Chiverton 1
    FAIL

Vapourware

So, any real kit, or just some 'might look like this one day' 3D renders ?

11. I think so I am?
    Coat

For that money you could buy a hell of a lot of track days.

1. Dave Bell

True, but you would also have to buy the vehicle to drive.

Pity about the vixen...

12. Alan Dougherty
    Facepalm

Now, if they only had the foresight to combine this with this :

http://simxperience.com/

13. Dan 10

Coming to...

...the basement of a footballer's house near you...

14. Ugotta B. Kiddingme
    Unhappy

1. Reaches for chequebook

2. notices "Vixen not included" caption

3. pouts and returns chequebook to drawer

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like