back to article Samsung... no, Apple... no, Samsung tops Q1 smartphone sales chart

Here's a classic case of why you shouldn't rely entirely on market watchers: two of them yesterday claimed different phone makers top the world smartphone charts. In the blue corner, we have Strategy Analytics, lifting Samsung's arm up high and emailing us to say the South Korean giant's 44.5m estimated smartphone shipments …


This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. The Fuzzy Wotnot

    It's all codswallop and much of muchness!

    Stop being a mindless gimp and listening to the utter tosh spouted by these supposed know-it-all market watchers and pundits, buy what you really want to buy and be happy you've technology in the palm of your hand that is so advanced that we could not even have imagined it only as far back as the mid 1990's!

  2. Victor Ludorum

    Excuse me?

    Nokia? 3rd? For smartphones? Eh?

    1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

      Re: Excuse me?

      Clearly not...

      It's smartphone business is a disaster...

  3. Silverburn

    Long story short: Choose the phone that has the features and software that fits your needs, and just tune out the fanbois/fandroids and the duff market figures.

    <-- icon for the market figures.

  4. Anonymous Coward

    Anyone still not developing for Android?

    Then you are a fool, when it's safe to say that:

    " Both companies together account for 55 per cent of the world smartphone market"

    Apple marketshare is 25%~ish and that leaves 75%ish for everything else, which means 74% Android 1% everything else...

    1. craigj

      Re: Anyone still not developing for Android?

      Whilst I kind of agree, Samsungs are generally high end smartphones that probably generate a lot of app revenue, I dislike your general fandroidism...

      Assuming your figures are correct, 74% OS market share does not equal 74% app market share.

      Many low end phones are shipped with android, and a much higher percentage of Android users that do download apps could be considered to be "freetards" (Don't like paying for apps).

      So your sweeping statement suggesting all app developers should be targeting Android is not necessarily true. For some profitable iOS developers, the additional development may not be worth the additional revenue.

    2. Bob Vistakin

      Re: Anyone still not developing for Android?

      Gets even more interesting when you consider tablets. Murdoch himself said yesterday he expects them to be the dominant medium in 5 years time. Google are about to launch their own - quite rightly too, they've given the manufacturers long enough to get their act together and they've collectively blown it, so its about time they got this by the scruff of the neck and stopped it going even more Apples way. And a quad core 7" running ICS for < $150 will be just the ticket, not to mention the hordes of clones about to flood the market with similar specs now the Chinese ref boards are available ( is one of hundreds "due any time now").

      Apple had a short lead with phones, now Android shifts far more, and cheaper, so that war is over. Apple still doesn't care because they make more money from the shrinking niche who buy their kit, just like desktops and laptops. This strategy WILL bite them one day, and probably cause their downfall when it happens since there'll be no coming back.

      s/phones/tablets and its the same familiar pattern a 4th time after desktops, laptops and phones.

      1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

        Re: Anyone still not developing for Android?

        Android already has a 45% marketshare in the tablet arena according to IDC, and that's before the wave of mid-range ICS based tablets like the new Galaxy 7in, the Asus and the Google-own tablets arrive, the Kindle Fire only has a US release too.

        Even realists can see that 45% this year, will be 55% next year and 75% the year after that for Android tablets.

    3. This post has been deleted by its author

    4. Silverburn

      Re: Anyone still not developing for Android?

      Sorry bazza, but if you'd read this:

      You'd see that if you were gonna blow for corporate cash on a mobile app, you'd choose Apple. But you don't see it, because you're completely anti-apple.

      1. Silverburn

        Re: Anyone still not developing for Android?

        Great...the link won't work for some reason. Just go to reghardware - you'll see the article there.

  5. pear

    Define smartphone?

    could be a problem ^...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like