back to article Data visualization: Big Data's hot cousin

Moritz Stefaner calls himself a “Truth and Beauty Operator”. But if you don't understand what that means, he'll translate to the safer “Freelance information Visualizer” and explain that “Large companies approach me with large data sets they want visualized. I take their data and turn it into something beautiful.” Beauty is …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yay infographics!

Nothing against visualisation, but much like how statistics are easily abused (and more often are than not by everyone from journo hacks, political hacks, oh irony social scientists too, to general public alike), visualisations may be beautiful and seem meaningful, but then turn out to not say anything useful. As such it easily end up being a tool of deception, of marketeering with a thin veneer of respectability. Or worse, the believability sauce under which the worst overcaffeinated bullshit is sold. As such it's a good skill to have for an "entrepeneur". The rest of us, take heed: What is that pretty picture really saying?

Though I'll admit it's at least a lot prettier than some of the overstuffed powerpoint slide deceptions that led to some right inexcusable messes. But you can deceive with clarity too, you know. It's always up to the onlooker to smell a rat and not accept being deceived.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like