back to article Google Drive stalls on LAUNCH DAY

For this Mac user, Google Drive is just spin. Despite the fact that Google has made the announcement, it seems that the cloudy storage service is still being rolled out. The Google blog may say: "You can install Drive on your Mac or PC", but many of us cannot. It's too bad as I was looking forward to trying it. Point your …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Rob Thorley
    Mushroom

Windows

As a Windows user, got mine yesterday.

1. JohnG

Re: Windows

Me too. It was activated some minutes after I selected "Notify me when my drive is ready" option.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Windows

As a windows user with his own domain, mine also says Google drive is not yet ready.

Its not ALWAYS about Mac users ;-)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

My dashboard for my domain on Google shows Drive as active.

You go to the Google Drive website and it says it isn't available yet.

Make up your mind Google!

1. Chris Redpath

I had this too, but there is a setting about rolling out new features immediately or not. When I changed it to roll out immediately, then Drive was available to use.

1. mordac

Where is this setting then? I think you're making it up.

1. Chris Redpath

Domain Settings => General => New User Features => Rapid Release

You're welcome.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Coat

"My dashboard for my domain on Google shows Drive as active.

You go to the Google Drive website and it says it isn't available yet."

Obviously they are buying their drives from Quantum....

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Short wait here...

I'm a Mac user, I signed up yesterday evening and was told it wasn't ready yet but I had an email with me in around an hour informing me everything was good to go and provided a link to download the app. Try being a bit more patient before ranting please...

1. scarshapedstar

Re: Short wait here...

Well, I've been waiting 24 hours. So your experience means fuck-all to me. Just sayin'.

1. Silverburn
        Gimp

Re: Short wait here...

Just 24hrs? I'm still waiting...

4. iricund
    Go

Works fine

Works fine for me. Got my account activated an hour after notifying them, and the downloaded Mac client installed perfectly. Very happy overall.

5. @brykins
    FAIL

Point?

Sorry, but can't see the point of Google doing this.

I have 25Gb free with my Hotmail account (which can be accessed from any PC also my phone)

I have 50Gb free from Box.net (which can be accessed from any PC and also my phone)

I have 3Gb free from DropBox (which can be accessed from any PC and also my phone, but more importantly, actually syncs over all my devices).

Because of the syncing, DropBox is the only one of these cloud storage services worth having. Unless Google are going to do something to make themselves stand out (and if they are, why not do it at launch) then this is just another Google "Meh" service.

1. DaveyDaveDave
      WTF?

Re: Point?

Well, Google Drive has the syncing, and gives you 5GB instead of 3. So, by your metrics it's obviously the best, stand-out features or not. (And it does have some stand-out features, try reading the blog post...)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

As much as Google are all evil and not so loving, they do bring out some great products.

I've recently fallen in love with Google+ Hangouts.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Happy

We'd come and join you but you posted anonymously! You'll never drive up user numbers like that :D

Ok, I'm getting my coat

2. Powelly
        Thumb Up

I agree. Hangouts is an excellent service. The screen sharing an collaboration tools have a couple of niggles, but overall are top notch.

3. Tim Parker

"Sorry, but can't see the point of Google doing this."

You can't ? Really ??.... or do you mean you can't see why Google bother because you personally already have 78GB of shared space ?

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They scan all that private data the muppets have readily handed over to them, then sell the ad data they've collected to the highest bidder.

Everyone wins! Google makes money and users get the joy of being buggered by the glorious advertising machine that makes the world go around!

1. Craigness
        FAIL

Re: Sell the ad data

They don't, they sell ads. If they sold the data then they couldn't sell their analysis, which is the more valuable product.

5. Levente Szileszky
      WTF?

Someone didn't take his medication, it seems...

6. Rick Leeming

Skydrive auto-sync app working fine here, and as you said, it's 25Gb.

I've used Dropbox before now, not a fan.

7. Craigness

Your hotmail account also syncs with all your devices (though you can also set one or more devices not to sync with the others). Google drive has a phone app too.

But the bigger point of Google Drive, which is unique AFAIK, is that web apps can use your gdrive to store data you create and edit on other websites. It's all sandboxed, naturally.

8. JohnG

I guess Google already have a substantial user base and Drive neatly dovetails with their existing Docs service, allowing some types of files stored in Drive to be viewed/edited from within a browser. The sharing feature is pretty straightforward but I haven't yet tried the feature where you can hand ownership of some shared files to someone else.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@ OP: At last! Thanks for saying what needed to be said! I just love the amount of replies to your post basically suggesting you be attached to the proverbial IT-ducking stool for pointing out the truth and the flaming obvious. I quite like Google, but jeez folks - get a grip, this isn't exactly new tech.

@JohnG: MS have had 25GB online storage for *free* for a while now, and this already ties in with *their* existing docs service AND people can share work, set permission levels etc etc Looking at the blog post... oh wow Google can do this too now... kewl... yet they want me to pay for anything over 5Gb? Maybe I will rush to sign up when I fill up my Skydrive or Dropbox accounts.... wow... neat...

*Gives Google a cookie* - "Yes dear, that blue Santa Claus on the fridge looks brilliant" - *resumes reading paper* :P

9. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Microsoft just released a Win7 client for syncing your Hotmai Skydrive:

http://g.live.com/8seskydrive/windownload

1. TeeCee Gold badge
        WTF?

Eh? You what?

There's been a SkyDrive sync client for Win 7 for donkey's years. It's the bloody XP one that's missing.

As tools for syncing data across multiple machines go, that puts SkyDrive firmly in the "chocolate teapot" category.

6. Peter Foulkes

Just because you are on a Mac doesn't mean every problem is exclusive to a Mac.

I'm on a PC and get exactly the same message, "Your Google Drive is not ready yet"

Hey ho,

Peter

1. Mike007

I suspect this is because OSX users are used to things not working properly for them due to their choice of operating system. If someone told me that it was normal for things to not work on their chosen OS, I would probably suggest they try a better OS.

7. jai

same here

I'm a Mac user, but currently using a PC at work. But i also get no option to access the GoogleDrive, just to request notification for when my drive is ready.

I guess they need some considerable amount of time to set up the 5gb of storage space?

Not a problem, I've no intention of using it, but seems it's far short of being ready for everyone at the moment.

1. Miffo

Re: same here

True - it's like the author thinks he's being picked on because he has a mac. Maybe someone who's a member of a racial minority who can't access the drive will say Google are racist! :-)

I've been waiting for my e-mail to let me know it's available. I tried using it on my Android phone first and (as if it matters) am now using a PC.

8. Pete the not so great
    Meh

not ready for me either

on Win7

9. Thrum-ti-tum
    Unhappy

Not that I'm going to use it...

...but mine isn't ready either.

10. dotslash

mesh

not that i've tried many of the cloud offerings, but I find Windows Mesh to be the most useful.

So if these other cloud offerings do something similar, then I'm all for trying it.

1. Argh

Re: mesh

I haven't tried Mesh since Microsoft ditched their last online synchronised storage system, called... Mesh.

Admittedly, they did give a nice long warning, giving plenty of time to back it up, but I would have been happier if they could have just moved my data across rather than cancel the service then re-open it again with the same name.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nope

ISPs are reducing bandwidth and limiting gigabyte exchanges, so that right away is a big negative to using an online storrage service. In addition, Megaupload is still down and I am still waiting on my files there so, ummmm. NO!

12. Ilsa Loving

What's the rush?

Why in the world would you (or anyone) be so interested in dumping 5 gigs of your personal data on a brand new and as of yet unproved service? I'm not even going to look at it for at least a month or so, because I have more important things to do than shaking out the bugs in a brand new system.

1. Rob 5
      Thumb Up

Re: What's the rush?

An excellent point, Sir!

2. nick turner
      Paris Hilton

It is a tested service though as it just appears to be a rebranded Google Docs with extra storage.

Paris - as the main article comes across like a selfish celubtard "it's all about ME ME ME ME!"

3. Chris 3
      Holmes

IT journalists tend to get paid to try out and write about new developments in IT. Hope that helps.

4. Joeman
      Thumb Up

Its hardly brand new technology - ive been storeing my stuff on the google docs "cloud" for ages.

In my view, its just a way for Google to make the non-technical people realise you can do exactly what people like myself have been doing with Google Docs for ages! same service, fancy new name....

5. Bucky 2
      Pint

You wouldn't put PERSONAL data online.

You'd put data there that you want world+dog to see, like scenic visas of the last time you visited Joshua Tree.

Your dick pics with the scenic vistas of Joshua Tree in the background stay on your own computer, for the FBI to look through, where they belong.

13. kevjs
    Go

I put in the request to be notified last night and was about two hours later. :)

Alas, it's like Drop Box and wants you to put your files in a specific folder, and doesn't appear to have the ability to upload automatically from my Android. Looks like I'll be sticking with Sugar Sync for now.

14. IT Hack
    Pint

Testing

I've always found a bit of testing before release into production to be invaluable in mitigating disappointment.

I raise my pint in praise of testing.

15. This post has been deleted by its author

16. nigel 15
    FAIL

It's account based not computer based.

whether your drive is 'ready yet' depends on your account. not what computer you access it from.

if they planned to do a staggered start they should have said.

17. Irongut
    FAIL

As some others have said it's not that they hate you for being an Apple fanboi, they just hate you. But don't worry they hate me too.

Although I've not been able to access Drive from Windows I did upgrade my Docs app on Android which supposedly turned it into Drive. So far I can't see what's changed other than the name.

18. Brent Longborough
    Meh

Underwhelming

Mine worked OK (on my own domain) until I uninstalled it!

I've got accounts at both Dropbox and SpiderOak. Dropbox gives me back history; SpiderOak lets *me* specify the folder names.

OK, so Google is "big" and "reliable", but they'll also need a few features.

19. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

As a Mac user...

Aren't you used to getting short changed on everything? if not, you should be....

Working just fine on Windows here.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Calm down

Mine works fine.

Unsurprisingly Google couldn't roll it out instantly to every single user. Turns out quite a few reporters didn't get theirs straight away and because of some misguided feeling of entitlement, they chose to rant about it. This is how the rest of us live.

1. Not That Andrew

Re: Calm down

They should have known there would be a huge take up as there is for everything from the Chocolate Factory. There is no mention of phased roll-outs or having to request its activation anywhere on the site.

21. Renegade98

Not ready

Not ready for me either. I sent the email yesterday around 10 am. It might have helped if Google had said the roll out would take some time and given an estimate instead it's there and ready to go.

22. ukgnome
    Mushroom

Drive not ready

jeepers - what a bunch of whiney pants!

I bet you lot sit in the back of cars pestering the driver with "are we nearly there yet"

Those chaps at google have and continue to make your lives easier because you are too idle to do things yourself. Honestly, if you are that bothered then simply bow out gracefully and find another solution. So far google has given us (for free, albeit some advertising and privacy concerns) world beating apps.

I don't see microsoft giving us street view, nor apple giving us a way to share docs.

No pudding for you guys until you eat your greens!

1. mgrds

Re: Drive not ready

Well I got logged in right away..- a few other people seem to have had to wait a few hours - much less than the wait for apple updates when a new one is announced and the phones stuck in semi- upgrades - and it seems better managed with a nice message asking you to wait and a very prompt notice to say when you can access -

Google have had a few flops recently (wave, and to some extent plus) but this definitely ISN'T one of them

Its got more free space than Dropbox - and is much more cheaply expandable than the competition (for those of us who don't want to spam our friends for freespace by referals (I hate it when peoplel do that to me!!)

It syncs like dropbox and integrates nicely with google docs! It meets the competition head on as it is right now AND google say they have more improvement on the way

Well done google on this !

YOu hit the spot

2. JohnG
      Headmaster

"I don't see microsoft giving us street view"

Actually, Bing now has a StreetView lookalike called StreetSide.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Those chaps at google have and continue to make your data less private and steal information

23. Levente Szileszky
    FAIL

Don't worry, it sucks the same way for Windows or even Google Apps users...

...so it's not about Macs, it's just the usual utter incompetence from Google.

Google has still a lot to learn about customer service and the fact that Schmidt is gone and Larry boy replaced him really does not help this process - it's actually quite the other way...

1. Wombling_Free
      Holmes

Re: Don't worry, it sucks the same way for Windows or even Google Apps users...

"customer service"

You get what you pay for!

24. aBloke FromEarth
    Pirate

Logo

I wonder what will happen when Commerzbank's legal team sees the Drive logo?

25. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Rant comment accidentally posted as news?

But, for this Mac user, there is no download link and a piece of text on the top right of the screen says: "Your Google Drive is not ready yet."

Well Google, which is it? Is the damn drive ready or not?

Erm. Well it exists as a product that they're rolling out but it does quite plainly state that your drive is not yet ready. I think that answers your question ....

26. Bassey

Working - Ish

Last night I was able to install and run Google drive for both Windows and Android. However, the Windows install took forever to download and forever to connect and kept giving time-out errors along with a few more general errors. No such problems with the Android version but then, I only had half a dozen Google Docs in there and, as I couldn't get the Windows version to work, I couldn't see how well it synched new stuff.

Anyway, it all seems a bit shite compared to SugarSync.

27. squilookle
    Linux

"Google Drive is available for:

PC and Mac

iPhone and iPad (coming soon)

Android devices "

Looks like the author and his Mac have more luck than some of us, then.

28. Sly
    Meh

As a computer user...

I'll continue to use a thumb drive and external hard drives.

What's this? Sharing files with people around the world?

FTP or upload to my own web server. meh. Old school... just gets it done.

1. Joeman
      Thumb Down

Re: As a computer user...

Then you're paying more money for a less robust service.

Easy to misplace a USB key, and if your server is connected to the web, its only a matter of time before someone attempts to hack it, or the HDD crashes, or the data centre floods etc...

"Old School" is not the best approach when it comes to data storage ;)

29. probedb

Same for Windows users, I just visited the link and got the same message.

30. David Liddle

Google drive

Downloads and works fine on Android ICS. Freaked out a bus driver here in Scotland.

31. Andrew Jones 2

My drive wasn't ready for me yesterday when I went to look - so I requested to be notified. I have yet to receive a notification email - unless Gmail considered it spam - but my drive has been activated anyway.

Ah - just checked - the email did arrive - in the Bulk Mail folder in GMail - so I never saw it :/

I find it quite funny that YouTube and Google Play emails end up in the bulk mail folder too - and I haven't set GMail up to filter them there.....

Anyhow - Dropbox supports linux - and is being used to backup my webserver, my squeezecenter and various other machines. Until Google can replicate this - I have no use for Google Drive (other than Google Docs)

32. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I think I will be staying with local storage

After all, look at megaupload, and just about any online storage system will run the same risk.

However, google , unlike megaupload, is so cozy with the feds, they will probably have less chance of being shut down.

Course I cant wait to see what happens the first time they have a "security breach".

1. Joeman
      FAIL

Re: I think I will be staying with local storage

Local Storage is more risky!!

If someone breaks into your house and takes your hardware, they not only have your data, but they also have your physical location, your car registration number (if parked on your drive) a good idea what your wife/kids look like, access to your bins for more clues about you. way more information than they could gather from a compromised cloud storage service.

Not to mention that your local storage is likely at risk from fire/flood/kids/power

surges/hardware failure/lightning strikes etc etc...

If your concerned about cloud storage, encrypt it before you store it, and store it on two networks (Amazon S3, Storegate and Google docs are my prefered services)

33. Uncle Siggy
    WTF?

GooBox? Dropple?

What's the difference between the two, and why do I care? I use Dropbox for convenience, and never store anything I wouldn't want to see in court. Why would I change?

34. terlan

for this "insert completely pointless thing here" user.....

why is it only apple users that tend start articles or points they are trying to make with "For this Mac user" or "as an iphone owner / user / licker".

What you perhaps should have started with was "as an impartial tech journalist / blogger" and then writing an article about about google announcing a FREE service that your not obligated to use, and then not getting it up and running right away and and embarressing themselves somewhat. Or that google are rolling the service out in a piecemeal fashion or maybe trying to reach a source in google and find out some facts or a statement about why there are issues for some people across all the platforms they said it would work on not getting the service while others can.

Or perhaps you can someonhow instead write an article making it all about how you are a mac user and how google is disapointing you as a mac user and how you cant get something on your mac from google that they said you can and how because you are a mac user this is a bad thing and if google wants mac users to be google users and start articles with "as a google user" they had better jolly well get this thing working on a mac for mac users.

Sorry but its not just mac users, every platform has the same issue some people are getting it, some are having to press the little notify me button. the difference is most of them arent as whinny.

35. Eponymous Bastard
    Joke

Tut

Get back into your walled garden you fanboi and don't even think about trying to climb out AGAIN! hehehehehe.

36. DerekCurrie
    Facepalm

Clunk Clunk Clunk

It's particularly unique when a Version 1.0 Syndrome event results in the software not being even Alpha testing ready, which is the case today at Google Drive.

Way to go Google. :-P

37. Sampler

Not just Mac users - mine says it's not read yet either - though it's also trying to install itself to my android phone which is odd as I've not told it to..

38. Blacklight
    Meh

24 hours?

I got told 24 hours (ish) ago to upgrade from Docs to Drive on my Android tablet & phone. About an hour ago I got told my drive was ready. No real huge issue, I could still drop into "Docs" mode, and I will only carry on using it for docs :)

39. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No thanks..

Not really interested to give Google even more data it can appropriate, thanks.

If I want online shared storage I'll stick with a MyDrive.ch account - better legal environment.

40. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

It has nothing to do with Mac vs Windows.

I am on Windows and mine wasn't ready. They are rolling out across accounts steadily.

I told them to notify me of when my account was ready with it and I got access the next day.

41. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

General failure reading drive G:

Abort, Retry, Ignore, Fail?

42. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What a brilliant idea.

Maybe I misunderstand, but if you can't convince all the CIOs to give away their intellectual property away by doing everything in Google Docs, simply give all their staff the ability to back up all their work on Google servers, or is this not how it works?

Hey presto ! pwned.

Google Drive, looks to me like the intellectual property industry's dream come true.

(Or did I misunderstand how it all works? It's just I was wondering, can you patent anything once it's been on a Google Drive?)

43. dieselbug
    Mushroom

Really?

Since when did Google grant everyone access to a product/service on "launch day"? I went to the site, read the conditions and waited. I didn't go for the online wahmbulance call like some on here. My patience was rewarded with access via Mac, PC and Android devices this morning.

Get over yourself.

44. W.O.Frobozz

Whiner

Android user here. And guess what? It's not ready for me, either. Get off your iHorse and stop whining.

45. Wombling_Free
    FAIL

So if you're on a Mac...

why not just use iDrive? Isn't that a perfect solution from the perfect company?

Oh, oh dear, oh dear will you look at that... Apple completely screwed everyone who paid for it. Again.

46. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Who cares?

As a linux user, you can't use it anyways.

47. windywoo

How's Mobile Me these days?

Are you sure Apple didn't have any problems with iCloud on release?

http://www.itpro.co.uk/636712/apple-hits-icloud-problems

48. wraith404
    FAIL

Tsk tsk

So Google snubbed you and your crying on the shoulders of reg readers? Poooow poooo wiw baby.

You sound like a typical little apple db.

It was available for me instantaneously on all 3 of my accounts.

1. Ed 11

Re: Tsk tsk

Would you like a medal?

49. dr john

does it matter?

So around 100 million people want to play with something new and some don't get instant access.

Does it matter?

That's the trouble with something that's FREE - everyone wants one to play with it.

And they have the nerve to charge $2.49 if you want 25Gb of storage - what's the world coming to when people have to pay for things??? Don't any of the complainers realise that there are many services charging twice that for less space, and yet they are complaining about the free service.

Here's a free service - I'll make you a web site for free and manage it for ever for free. But only for people I like. Going to complain about that? (PS yes, I do this for real for some people. Just not you.)

Will the journo report when he DOES get his account activated?

Will the "article" he wrote be updated with a progress report in a few days?

Will we have to read more rants like his?

50. Doug Glass
    Go

Why Chris, ....

... not getting screwed as promised? I guess you got used to getting it from The Sacred J on a known timetable and falling off that [Kool-Aid] wagon is a bit testy for your huh?

51. Tidosho
    FAIL

Why the whinging?

The author sounds like a typical Mac fanboi, whinging when things don't go their way. Instead of bitching, why not use iCloud? It's a beloved Apple service, I'm sure they'd love another of their drone zombies signing up :)

Seriously I wish Google would come up with something of their own rather than following others. I have my own cloud drive! It's called my webserver with 6 TERABYTES of cloud space, you can all keep your pathetic 3 and 5 'gigabytes' ;) All this cloud hype is just a fad, it's all FTP that's been around for years, I write cloud frontends for MegaCloud.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why the whinging?

I write backends for yo' mama ...

How very dull.

1. DJGM
        Mushroom

Re: Why the whinging?

You write stupid anonymous comments on forums

How pathetic.

52. Alan Tamm
    Thumb Up

Go Google (drive)!

At least the upload speed appears to be twice as fast as that of the two main competitors..

I suppose Google could have benefited of their famous "beta" labeling approach -- less whining (nowadays we're all being experimented on anyway, at least when it comes down to software of general use -- hopefully not so much in case of nuclear plants; military/defense systems; cars; planes and such are involved).

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like