back to article Tin can communication set to return

It isn't just Reg Hardware celebrating all things old school this week. A group of retro enthusiasts want to bring back the days of tin can communication, punting a modern USB version on fundraising site Kickstarter. Monkey Wrench Design knocked up prototypes of their "tin-over-IP" technology, The Can, which takes talking back …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Code Monkey

Follwing FB's jizzing $1bn on Instragram this might even be a valid business model.

2. b166er

Most excellent!

Trump Edition indeed :)

'The Can is particularly effective for video chats with important business clients and other mission critical video conference applications.'

Wonder how easy they are to configure

3. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

Tin Cans Are Highly Usefuls Directional Antennas

See my handle !

Of course, you have to poke a hole about 5cm from the bottom (the flat piece of tin) into the wall of the can. Then stick your DSL router's antenna through the hole. That will boots antenna performance in the direction of the can opening dramatically ! I got a range expansion of at least a factor of two. Which means you can share your DSL connection with your neighbour, even if he/she is quite far down the road.

You don't need to perform the math they do on many of the tin can pages.

Picture of an acoustic tin-can.

4. AbortRetryFail
    Joke

Fnarr

Trump edition. Snigger smirk etc. :o)

(yes, yes, I need to grow up and stop finding the name 'Trump' amusing)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've always wanted

I've always wanted to get 2 acoustic couplers, 2 300 baud modems, 4 cans, 2 strings, and set up a PPP connection across the modems using the cans and string to connect them.

Then put the helpless system on the far end up on the Internet, and post it to the appropriate sites.

Just because.

6. TheRealRoland
    Meh

I think it's time...

for a USB-powered Pet Rock. People are ready for it again, i feel it!

7. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Wonga pledged?

Let's hope they don't charge the same sort of interest rates as a certain company by that name

8. LinkOfHyrule
    FAIL

Spoiler for tomorrow's episode of the Apprentice

Alan Sugar has decided to bring out the EmailerCan - it's a baked beans tin that dose email.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Surely it should be

the I Can Phone.

Capitalisation adjustable to suit the needs of the lawyers.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

I'll bet the audio...

... sounds a little tinny.

This topic is closed for new posts.