back to article Kelihos zombies erupt from mass graves after botnet massacre

Security researchers have warned that the resurrected Kelihos botnet blasted off the face of the web yesterday is still alive. Experts not involved in the blasting say the miscreants behind the network of compromised Windows computers are working on their comeback. The zombie PC army was walloped offline in September, they say …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ged T
    Alert

If the infected client machines are "known" or "discoverable"...

...isn't it time to install anti-malware and anti-virus software into these clients, after/as part of redirecting them to a "good" CnC server?

1. I'm Brian and so's my wife
      Terminator

Re: If the infected client machines are "known" or "discoverable"...

Have you lost your senses or are you in the pay of the machines?

2. DJ Smiley

Its those pesky legal issues :/

3. kain preacher

Because you have people out there that hates MS and will preach that MS are trying to take controlling of your machine. Then there are the people that will see this as big brother using MS to take control of their computer. It's the last group that I'll worry about. Those that will expect MS to fix their PC thus thinking that they can just download whatever and MS will fix it.

Oh and that assumes that there is no legal barriers to MS doing this.

2. David Eddleman
    Holmes

Why not...

If you were to pull a Superman III and steal a large sum of money from a bank and escape to a nation that doesn't have extradition, you probably wouldn't get off scott free. If the bank's big enough, you can bet that money that the bank or other financial institution will send a hit squad or mercs to kick down your door.

Why doesn't MS/etc. just do the same thing? Hire investigators or teams to find where these people live, kick down their doors, and put two in the head? Or for the more Paragon route, get the authorities involved. Would solve the problem a lot more efficiently than just sinkholing a swathe of machines.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why not...

"...kick down their doors, and put two in the head?..."

Ooh! —I love it when you talk tough. I just did a bit of 'love wee' in my pants

2. The First Dave
      Boffin

Re: Why not...

Most people have noticed a few mistakes by 'the authorities' in recent times, whether it be the US military attacking a genuine Pakistani border post, or the Met shooting an un-armed Brasilian electrician in the head.

Now bear in mind Microsoft's reputation for accuracy, fairness, etc. ...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like