back to article Righthaven stripped of rights

The corpse of copyright troll Righthaven may have given its last twitch, with a US judge relieving the company of the only thing it had to work with: copyright. Unable to pay its debts, Righthaven has been ordered by a Las Vegas federal judge to relinquish both its copyrights and its trademark, reports Vegas Inc. Before any …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Darryl
    Trollface

Still too bad that publications like the Denver Post who were using Righthaven as their puppet couldn't be taken to task and given a legal boot up the arse too.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Well...

... if you have the dosh do pick up any remaining copyright assignments (and they are somehow enforceable) you can go after the sources of that copyright and suing them right back. Would be about as likely to succeed as righthaven's business model. But if you really wanted to, you could.

1. Captain DaFt
        Pint

Re: Well...

Or, you could, y'know... buy them and release them as open domain. That'd be a real black eye to the companies that enlisted that troll in the first place!

(No petard icon, so I'll hoist one of these instead.)

2. silent_count

"courtesy of other rulings finding that it didn’t own many of the copyrights it was trying to enforce"

Wouldn't that expose the company's directors, and the lawyers working on their behalf, to prosecution for bearing false witness? If they're trying to sue people for breaching THEIR copyright on X, it'd be incumbent upon the complainant to ensure they actually owned the copyright on X before proceeding.

3. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

"Moot" means many things.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/moot

It means different things as adjective, verb, or noun. Such as, "a ring gauge for checking the diameters of treenails." A treenail is "a wooden pin that swells when moist, used for fastening together timbers, as those of ships."

So, what did this fellow mean?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Moot" means many things.

As a verb it's often used to introduce a concept, eg, "It was mooted that..."; or to suggest that something's been made irrelevant, eg, "...rendered moot...".

It seems fairly obvious that the second meaning is used here.

1. Richard 120

Re: "Moot" means many things.

I'd go as far as to say that the OP is a moot point.

4. DJV Silver badge
    Joke

Righthaven's assets bought by...

...Darl McBride.

Not true (I hope), but it wouldn't surprise me if the slimeball did... (with assistance from Andrew Crossley, of course).

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like