back to article Canon focuses on 25th birthday EOS DSLR

Canon will mark a quarter Century of its EOS single-lens reflex camera system with its latest DSLR, the EOS 5D Mark III. The Mark III takes things up a notch from its highly-rated predecessor, pushing the sensor up a megapixel or so, and featuring the new 61-point AF system found in the recently launched EOS-1D X. Canon EOS …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Aliasing

Wonder if they've managed to get rid of the horrible aliasing problems when shooting video? Large sensors are all very well, but if you can't scale down the image to 1080p without creating horrible artefacts then you may as well forget it, despite what the kids fresh out of art college may think. Or the overheating problems come to that.

2. tterminus
    WTF?

How Much?!?!?

£3000? Ouch, I won't be upgrading then. Almost double to current cost of the 5D Mk2 and £1000 more than that model was available at launch.

Come on Canon there is a global financial crisis ongoing don't you know, or haven't you noticed?

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: How Much?!?!?

My thoughts exactly.

2. Ru

It isn't wholly surprising... it has virtually the same specs as previous models of 1Ds had. It doesn't make much sense to take it out of the semi-pro price bracket though; seems like they'd have been better served by creating a 3D at the 3k price point, and putting a 5d3 back at 1.8k. Still, I Am Not A Marketer, so what do I know?

Price comparable with its Nikon equivalent though, the D800. It is a nasty thought that we're left with Sony of all people to provide a decent value full frame dSLR.

3. Station Grey

The launch price of the MkII in the UK was £2299, which equates to around £2500 with inflation. So the MkIII *is* more expensive, but by around 500 quid, not 'over £1000'.

It might be double the current cost of a MKII, but that's because it's a 4 year-old camera that's just been replaced!*

*Well, sort of.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pixels are not 'dots'

"3.2in LCD... which boasts 1040k pixels"

Shame on The Register for falling for the increasingly used camera manufacturer's trick of boasting the number of "dots" their screens have, by which they do of course mean sub pixels, not pixels.

It's just a trick by the marketing departments to multiply screen resolutions on their new models by a factor of three over their old ones, even though the screen is really the same resolution.

And before some Canon spin doctor suggests it, the fact that the pixels on a sensor aren't made up of sub-pixels is no reason to talk about "dots" on an RGB display.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like