back to article Qualcomm poised to zap wireless charging rival into dust

Qualcomm is on the verge of licensing its wireless charging tech WiPower to a big-name brand, which could be enough to unplug rival standard Qi. Despite general agreement that topping up batteries wire-free desperately needs a single standard, and the fact that companies such as Energiser and Philips are already making Qi- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple?

Apple are well known for demanding secrecy until the product is launched, they're known to be announcing a big new product in the next week. They're also well known for picking the standard they think is best, rather than the one that's being adopted already, and a few hundred million iOS devices in the next year or so would put this pretty solidly on the map. Tablets are ideal for this tech, too.

1. Mage Silver badge

Re: Apple?

Actually it's totally pointless for a Tablet. If you are using the tablet a cord is better, unless it's so cordless you can be anywhere in the room.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: Apple?

In theory maybe, but my iPad stares longingly at my touchpad's wireless charging point. Dropping the touchpad onto that is way better than plugging in the dock cable on the iPad - and the iPad already syncs wirelessly.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Apple?

Naw, unless Apple can either buy Proview or at least all of the patents, they're not going to play. How are they going to be proprietary and sue everyone else for attempting to make accessories?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Only two contenders?

You only mention the two. Surely Apple are developing another wireless power technology that's completely incompatible with anything they didn't make.

3. Mage Silver badge
    Flame

Pointless

A wasteful pointless gimmick. Probably creates interference too.

What is wrong with

a) A dock (look at DECT phones and most Handheld two way radios)

or

b) Micro USB or mini USB

It still needs a PSU and cable. Another stage of power loss and conversion too.

4. Anthony Eeles
    Facepalm

45mm = killer app?

[a charging pad] "built into the coffee table could charge a tablet while it's being used to tweet one's reaction to the latest X-Factor outrage"

because one regularly does this whilst holding one's mobile just 1-2 inches off one's coffee table?

1. Gordon 10

Re: 45mm = killer app?

Indeed - thats a laughable advantage - about the length of an index finger. I bet the power transfer drops off over that distance as well.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Wireless power: all well and good....

Wireless power is all well and good until we all start to develop myasthenia gravis - has nobody read Heinlein's Waldo?

Mine's the one with the Faraday lining.

But seriously - My phone grips at me to unplug the charger from the wall every time I unplug the phone from the charger. Somehow, I think these wireless charger systems will waste more energy than leaving my highly efficient switching power supply charger plugged into the wall.

6. Lance 3

Anyone but Qualcomm

I root for anyone but Qualcomm. Their past history shows how they operate; they are as bad as Apple if not worse.

7. 2cent

Sleep tight, don't let the wifi bugs bite.

Has anybody seen any studies on how close you can safely be next to one of these things.

Or is it convenience folded into ignorance over intelligence?

This topic is closed for new posts.