back to article Prada Phone by LG 3.0

Why is black and white classier than colour? And should we want our phones, with their increasingly glorious screens, to mute their rainbow hues? It’s the arrival of LG’s third collaboration with Prada that’s raised these questions – a handset that favours an interface dressed mostly in black and white. Prada Phone by LG 3.0 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Natalie Gritpants

White text on a black background

I've really missed that since moving from X10 to CDE! It's great for desktop use in an indoor environment with controlled lighting. On a phone that you use outside (if you're a normal human) it's a bit of a disaster. Still I guess you're not meant to use this phone, just be seen with it.

2. MJI Silver badge

Lucky Goldstar

Hmm - it's a Lucky Goldstar phone!

Doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is it pretty?

Or can't I see it?

4. SiempreTuna
    WTF?

I think I'm getting ..

.. in touch with my feminine side: that thing looks gorgeous.

And it's nearly time for my upgrade ..

But I'm geek not a fashionista and it don't have ICS. I'm going to be stuck with my next phone for 2 years and you only ever get one upgrade on a Droid: you'd have to be an exceptionally dumb fashionista to buy a phone that's already waiting for its one upgrade.

1. Cameron Colley

Why the obsession with upgrading the OS?

Does Android stop working once a newer version is out? Is Android so shit now that you would only buy a device with it on now if they promise to upgrade?

Surely you buy a phone that works as you need it now and has all of or as many as possible of the apps you want then use it?

I don't understand this obsession with upgrading that some Android users have -- I've had phones for a couple of years and never needed to upgrade anything to do what I need. I understand it may be cool to be able to upgrade to the latest shiny but I'd put that at the bottom of the list after it doing what I want it to do at time of purchase.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Why the obsession with upgrading the OS?

Because, quite frankly put - people don't want to leave themselves exposed to the dangers of unpatched exploits, bugs and malware. Phones are like computers now - You wouldn't leave your PC or mac without an update now would you.

Throw in the consideration that your phone now costs as much as a computer too and I think its fair for people to want to stay up to date with their version of Android.

1. Cameron Colley

Re: Re: Why the obsession with upgrading the OS?

You're saying now that Android doesn't get security fixes for older versions? If what you're saying is correct then I will not be buying an Android phone next as that is negligent to the extreme.

As for it being like a computer -- If I bought a computer with XP on it I wouldn't expect an upgrade to Vista and I suspect most people don't upgrade their computer OS but simply upgrade their computer every 2 to 5 years. I certainly wouldn't expect to have to upgrade my PC's OS in the first two years of ownership which seems to be the longest most people keep phones.

5. SiempreTuna
    Flame

Actually ..

.. while I think about it, everytime I read about Apple suing Samsung over derivative products, I have to wonder why LG/Prada haven't sued the a** off Apple? I mean the iPhone was a total steal of the original Prada phone.

Except that it (mostly) worked, of course.

Typical Jobs reality distortion: Mr Never-Knowingly-Original going after anyone who dares to copy his copies.

1. gisabsr
      FAIL

Nonsense. This, from an arch fandroid hangout, tells the true story.

http://androidcommunity.com/who-was-really-first-apple-vs-samsung-story-truly-debunked-20110420/

But believing it would get in the way of a good old, and ever so dull, opportunity to bash Apple, of course.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

LG != Samsung

That article is about the Samsung f700, not the LG Prada. The Prada was also first officially shown right around the same time as the first iPhone. But it had been seen as much as 6 month before, even winning a design award several months before it's official unveiling,

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

The first LG Prada also went on sale 3 months before the iPhone.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> I have to wonder why LG/Prada haven't sued the a** off Apple

You haven't seen Apple suing LG either, have you?

That should answer your question.

1. Craigness

Probi ng Anal ist

Why would Apple not suing LG have anything to do with LG not suing Apple? Only one could copy the other, and LG being first to market means their product cannot infringe on Apple's design. You can't say the same for Apple though.

6. Tim Jenkins
    Joke

Vitamin C defficiency

What, no singe-edge razor blade storage and gold-plated straw attachment?

7. Ru
    Unhappy

"Battery life was also a cut above, lasting well over a day"

I like how a battery life that'll span breakfast to bedtime is now considered better than average.

8. Craigness

Apparently...

Ios did the black and white thing in 1986...

http://work.repponen.com/#2804563/iOS-86

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like