back to article Apple eyes ISPs to sell 'iTV'

What are we to make of the claims from moles within Canada's two key telcos that both companies have Apple HD TVs in their labs? That Apple is indeed working on an own-brand television now seems certain. Equally sure seems the notion that the so-called 'iTV' won't be remotely revolutionary, though it will be spun that way by …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Darryl

Wondering about this... Rogers, yes, they're one of the two big telcos, but they're also one of the two big cable companies. Bell is the other big telco, but they're huge in satellite. You'd think they wouldn't want to be pushing something that cuts into their cable/satellite subscriptions.

1. Herba

Bell has IPTV

Bell has IPTV in Montreal and Toronto.

2. Dibbles

...or

...alternatively, that they want to get onto iTV precisely *because* it will cut into their cable subscriptions. The talk is that the lucky tube-provider will have exclusive rights to the latest Apple iMustHave, so they will be able to gouge punters to their heart's content with overpriced internet bundles.

And, with reference to the line "Equally sure seems the notion that the so-called 'iTV' won't be remotely revolutionary, though it will be spun that way by the glib-tongued manufacturer" - so true, and yet it doesn't matter. With the Apple love-in in the media, it's going to be spun out of all recognition (news reports are already saying it has the potential to turn the TV market upside down); and consumers will buy into it and ignore the IPTV products previously marketed. It makes me embarrassed to be human...

2. g e
    FAIL

Uber Meh

Granted it's not a UK-focussed article but my ISP won't be trying to sell me an iTV (or whatever it gets called in the UK cos we already have an ITV thank you very much). Mostly cos my ISP is SKY, to be fair but if it weren't the answer would be 'OK, so... explain to me why I need to replace my perfectly fine 42" TV and buy some streaming thing in addition to Netflix on my PS3? Oh, cos it's Apple? well why didn't you SAY so at the start! I could have had the last five minutes of my life back. **click**'

(I'm assuming itv will be hardware TV + streaming/cloud subscription, of course)

1. Chad H.

You forgot

They've already sold you a box with IPTV (presuming its a HD box).

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They could have a digital version...Call it something like ITV Digital...Create the Live TV app for it and then FINALLY I can get my fix of bouncing weather midgets and topless darts again.

4. jonathanb Silver badge

Any idea what this product will be called?

I'll bet anyone here any amount of money at odds of your choosing that it won't be called the iTV, mainly because there is a British television channel with that name that has been around longer than Steve Jobs has.

1. andreas koch
      Facepalm

Why not ITV?

Has former artwork or the like ever stopped Apple from trying?

Oh, I'm sure it will be great, a real simplification. Apple's iTV will bring us back the times when there was only 1 channel, just better.

Siri will understand what you are talking about and the gesture control will track your body language. According to this, the appropriate fruit-approved* program will play. I can see a lot of lunchtime talk shows playing in homes where the sole inhabitant has died in the living room. The only problem is that it will switch to football in the middle of a soppy chick flick that your girl is watching if you come in, raise a beer can and say 'offside'. Mind you, if you watch premier league, and she sniffs and waves a hankie because she's got a cold, this could just switch back, too.

Lots of entertainment value there...

* No chance to get an erotic movie by bouncing up and down on your sofa and moaning, then...

5. dogged

"first to do movement and voice control together."

you mean like, er, Kinect?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'H'igh-definition 'I'nternet 'V'ision

7. Phil Standen
    WTF?

First to do gesture and voice?

Say "xbox connect" at your kinnect.

Really not the first at all.

1. dogged

I think the point is that Apple will say they're first and then it will somehow become true, just like they invented the smartphone. Or so they say. Or tablet computing.

8. satori3000

So there are actually 3 big Telcos,

Telus is more profitable than Bell and has far deeper pockets to implement new products and services. I think the challenge for this article is that there's no one willing to break radio silence with them.

1. Darryl

Telus's problem is their head office isn't in Toronto, so they don't count

9. thesykes
    FAIL

solutions looking for a problem?

Voice recognition and gestures? On a TV?

Kinect is a clever bit of kit, but, whilst it's great for playing a certain type of game, navigating through menus and options is a complete pain, using a controller to to do the same thing is far easier.

Voice recognition? How many people have used it other than when they get their new phone, just to see if it works? Not many... for a couple of reasons... no matter how good it is, it's not perfect and you look a tit doing it.

Is it really easier to change to BBC1 by telling everyone in the room to be quiet and then clearly saying "TV.. Channel.. BBC1"? I bet I can press 101 on the remote quicker.

Got a sore throat? Broken arm? Stuck on the same channel for the night then!

Finally... put your fancy TV next to one of Samsungs latest OLED screens and tell punters it's worth a grand more because you can talk to it, and the majority will just look at the picture and laugh at you... unless Apple have somehow managed to develop a screen that looks better?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Voice recognition? How many people have used it"

I use mine all the time...*Navigate* *home* it is 6pm after all.

2. jonathanb Silver badge

Apple's retina display is at least as good as Samsung's OLED screens.

1. andreas koch

Apple's retina...

I didn't know that Apple made screens.

2. dogged

Apples and oranges

or in this case, apples and battleships. The retina display is what, 3.5 inches long?

3. Charlie Clark Silver badge

@Jonathanb, you really haven't got a clue, have you? Have you met Marcus or Giselle?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjJ45g7Ayiw&feature=related

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What are we to make of the claims of these moles?

That they are lying?

11. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Joke

iTV? How about ATV

Time for Crossroads anyone?

12. Jon 22

Those who forget the past...

Don't expect Apple to alter the smart phone landscape the way it did the portable music player business, but with its undoubted marketing skills and a colossal pile of cash to spend on promotional material, it is, we think, going to stir up the market

13. Mr_Happy
    Thumb Down

Fail

So people looking to save money on their cable package are going to rush out and buy a vastly over priced TV

14. Chris D Rogers
    Thumb Down

My HDMI Mac Mini is linked to a 42in Philips LCD, all my TV viewing are the programmes and films I want to watch downloaded via Bittorrent, in Hong Kong I don't even have a ariel connected to the TV.

If Apple made a bigger monitor than current 27in at a cheaper price point - think Dell - they'd be on to a winner - I'm sure they can up the size easily to 32in and 37in and next gen. Mac Mini should have decent graphics capability, so a win win.

In the UK, currently utilise a iMac with TV USB, usually still download a lot, utilise iPlayer/TV Catch-up and watch some actual live TV - basically I watch what I want and already have good storage via 3T externals.

Apples plan, if it has one is to sell a high quality TV iOS enabled and keep all punters in its heavily walled ecosystem - can't wait till its jailbroken.

Whilst i like Apple products - they work and look pretty due to Mr. Ive, I've never been one for iTunes or anything thing else that costs me coin on top of hardware cost.

Hence, why bother, a Mac Mini connected to a high resolution screen is ideal and you can also add TV via a USB add on.

I certainly will not invest in one as much prefer the iMac/ Mac Mini combo, also will get a iPad3 when available and can watch TV/ content off that.

Still, if the thought of paying £2000 for a large iMac that's not actually a computer appeals to you, great, me, I've got better things to do with that amount of cash.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sooo...

Your not interested in buying something unless you get all your content for free.

And who pays for all this stuff you consume for free then, the magic pixies?

Still I'm glad you do all your work for free, you must have a very good heritage, what with you working for free and your parents working for free, otherwise how on earth did your mummy and daddy buy you your shiney toys?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"otherwise how on earth did your mummy and daddy buy you your shiney toys?"

Benefits?

15. Neil Greatorex
    Happy

"But Apple has a better UI in its Apple TV set-top box"

Very funny, I take it from this you haven't used an Appletv?

Better UI my arse.

16. Andrew James

iTV / eye TV / ITV

Can we call it something other than iTV please? Since one of the biggest (probably the biggest) commercial TV channels in the UK is called ITV. There is very little chance of them giving up their name in the uk to accomodate Apple and its new televisual contraption, and watching ITV on your iTv will just get very complicated.

What's wrong with, oh, i dont know... the Apple TV.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Apple TV already exists and no one wants it. Thats what is wrong.

So Apple will put an "i" infront of TV and millions of plebs will rush to buy it!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like