back to article Hollywood gathers to pick over Limewire’s corpse

Movies studios are moving on the defunct Limewire, filing a complaint in a US Federal Court to take their cut from the company’s copyright infringments. Following a 2010 summary judgment against the company in a case brought by record labels, the company last year settled with the music industry majors for $US105 million. That …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Smelly Socks
    FAIL

I see what they're up to here.

Oh no wait, I don't. They're just being friggin retarded.

-ss

2. Graham Marsden
    WTF?

So did they get their $75 trillion dollars?

Oh, no, of course they didn't!

'Judge Kimba Wood revealed that the record companies, seeking statutory damages against the music-sharing service, are seeking damages predicated on the “number of direct infringers per work” – leading to a damages claim of as much as $75 trillion dollars (according to Wikipedia, total global GDP is around $69 trillion)".'

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/03/24/judge_slaps_music_biz/

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Trollface

Clearly the power of Shrek can power the whole economy of the USA.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

By by Limewire

Don't let the door hit ya in the arse...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Why are you downvoting it? Don't me that crap about it being useful for distributing Linux distros and other noble bollocks, you mention Limewire and anyone from the age for 6 to 60 knew is was exclusively used for get knocked off goodies!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

In other news:

Bears caught shitting in the woods.

The pope is actually catholic.

Man states the bleedin' obvious...

Of course limewire had no other uses becaue EVERYTHING on there was "knocked off"

Muppet.

4. Absent
    Facepalm

Always late to the party

Hollywood is so slow. They're only now suing over something that was popular 10 years ago?

5. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Core business

Forget good films, forget decent TV, forget memorable music.

It's all about suing for rights infringements now.

It's no wonder that popular entertainment output has become so lame.

6. WonkoTheSane
    Coat

Shakespeare saw this coming...

Dick The Butcher: "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers."

(Henry VI Part 2 Act 4 Scene 2)

Mine's the doublet.

1. FozzyBear

Oh yes please

I don't know if the world would be a better place , but, shouldn't society have the opportunity to find out. In fact we should seriously a society and gene pool spring clean. We also include politicians while we're at it. Any other parasitic professions that we could include in the same spring clean?

1. br0die

Estate agents. And recruitment agents.

1. Z-Eden
          Thumb Up

One order for the B-Ark please... Though watch out for dirty telephones!

2. Version 1.0 Silver badge
          Pint

And the commetards too!

Oh wait ... maybe we should think about this before we top everybody...

No, on second thoughts, carry on...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not about getting blood from a stone, just an attempt to establish that stones are dangerous

They're not going to end up with any money out of this but then again, they're most likely only hoping to create a legal precedent that can be called upon and used/misused in the future for their next legal attack on whatever new/current file sharing service becomes the next MPAA/RIAA public enemy Number 1

1. Dave Bell

That's been the pattern for as long as people have been using computers and modems. One of the early "hacking" trials appeared to use a grossly inflated value for one of the illicitly copied documents, even though it could, as I recall, be bought from the company, on paper, for some trivial amount.

The plaintiffs make dodgy claims so often that, if it were noticed, they'd struggle to get any more cases heard. They're serial liars, and if that isn't contempt of court, I'm not sure what would be.

8. Chris Walton
    Big Brother

Somehow this reminds me of the posthumous beheading of Oliver Cromwell.

9. Crisp
    Thumb Up

Limewire is dead

Time to switch to eDonkey I suppose...

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sueing for what?

where will the money come from, you would have thought Limewire emptied it's accounts long before all the legal trouble began and there's nothing left in the old corpse to divide between the claimants.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like