back to article Japan takes second shot at extraterrestrial sampling with Hayabusa 2

The Japanese space agency (JAXA) has confirmed a new mission to collect samples from an asteroid and return them safely to earth, and has set the target as 1999 JU3 - one of the damper asteroids in range. “We’re expecting the asteroid to be rich in hydrated minerals and, we believe, in organic compounds - long carbon chains …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Typical!

The Japanese and the Europeans are looking at ways to take samples from asteroids, seeking the 'building blocks of life'. Meanwhile, the merkins are looking at ways to destroy them -presumably as part of "The War on space Terror".

1. Figgus
      Alien

When those little green men come to enslave you and rape your fields and pillage your women, you'll be begging for our specially trained ET Counterterrorism Army to come save you. YOU JUST WAIT AND SEE!!!!

1. Code Monkey

It'll be like WWII. They'll spend years denying there's a problem then show up late.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Have these people ...

... NEVER read or seen The Andromeda Strain?!?

3. Winkypop Silver badge
    Alien

Japanese look for life (signs) in the universe

Meanwhile, the Americans have quit manned space vehicles and are eager to teach Intelligent Design as science.

1. Dave Walker
      Thumb Up

A very lucid comment

You know, this is about as lucid a comment on the situation of Science and Education, not to mention Space Exploration, in the United States as could be made!

4. Scott Broukell
    Coffee/keyboard

I'm quite certain that I had an asteroid up me JAXI the other week - took considerable effort to move it through the system and there were plenty of signs of life on it when it finally emerged - so why go into space or this kind of research. (note to self: more roughage in me diet please).

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like