back to article Sky Anytime+ to pipe BBC iPlayer

Sky punters will be able to view BBC and ITV programmes in Sky's video-on-demand catchup service, Sky Anytime+, in a pact announced today. ITV will open up its archive tomorrow and offer a seven-day catchup service later this year, via ITV Player. The BBC's archive is already available thanks to Sky's deal with UK TV, but …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Phil A.
    Thumb Down

Sky has dropped the requirement that this must be a Sky broadband connection?

Where did you get that information from? Nothing on Sky's website says anything about it being available to non sky broadband customers. As someone who is unable to get Sky Broadband, it's huge news if it's true!

1. Wyrdness

I'd imagine that they got that information from Sky's press release, which says, "Sky is extending the reach of Sky Anytime+ by making it available to all Sky+HD homes with an internet connection, across all broadband providers. "

1. GettinSadda
        Unhappy

I wish someone would tell Sky!

When trying to set up Anytime+ from the Sky website it fails as follows:

"To get Sky Anytime+ you need:

{tick} Sky Entertainment

{tick} A Sky+HD or Sky+HD 1TB box

**** Sky Broadband Everyday Lite or Unlimited"

2. damager
      FAIL

If you go to http://www.sky.com/anytimeplus you will see a section on the right with regard not having Sky Broadband. It says "Not a problem – Sky Anytime+ will be available to you soon" and you can register your interest at the link provided...

FAIL because there IS something on Sky's website!

1. GettinSadda
        Facepalm

You are right...

I made the mistake of actually going to my account and hitting "Upgrade" - which is the way you would normally add this sort of feature. Perhaps they could add a link there too rather than just on the Anytime+ "brochure" page!

2. Phil A.
        Stop

So not available yet

Available soon isn't the same as "Sky has dropped the requirement that this must be a Sky broadband connection" - it could be anything from a week to a year before they decide to make good on this.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Too little too late for Sky - I'm about to cancel my subscription (and I know many others who are doing the same) - you can get almost all the content for free on Freeview / Freesat and add Netflix or Lovefilm and you have all you could want to stream.They charge a big premium for multi room and HD - by the time you have a decent package you can be paying well over £50 a month.

Sure if you watch a lot of sport maybe it's worth it - but if you just want movies there is so much on normal TV or get Lovefilm and get disks by post and streaming.

So my £50 a month drops to £10 a month (Lovefilm).

3. Mark Barton
    Facepalm

Cant see it either - just checked Skys site and it insists you need a Sky broadband package.

4. Two Sheds
    Thumb Up

@Phil A.

Press release here http://corporate.sky.com/media/press_releases/2012

5. ssu

I would also like to know if it is confirmed anywhere that Sky have dropped using Sky Broadband as an Anytime+ requirement?

It still says here http://www.sky.com/shop/tv/anytime-plus/

"Not with Sky Broadband?

Not a problem – Sky Anytime+ will be available to you soon. Register your interest and we'll be in touch once it's available."

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I looked at all the programs we had recorded and typically watch on our Sky box - 90%+ were on free channels or could have been streamed on Netflix. I'll keep their broadband for £10 a month but I'm dropping the rest for Netflix on an Apple TV.

7. AndrueC Silver badge
    Thumb Down

>Time-shifting is rapidly growing in popularity

Sigh. Big, big sigh. Time shifting has been popular in my household for years now. Ever since we got our first Sky+ box. Never watch anything live any more. Not that I'm taking a dig at the article but if true I think it's rather sad that so many people with PVRs haven't yet worked out how to use them :-/

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Time shifting - big deal - most Freeview and Freesat boxes seem to be able to do it these days.

We tend to record programs rather than watch them at the scheduled time then fast forward through the adverts.

9. This post has been deleted by its author

10. Blip

Does this mean that the BBC has to pay Sky even more?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/jan/02/maimed-bbc-parasitic-sky

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like