back to article NEC claims terabit-plus record with 10,000 km hop

NEC has demonstrated a single fibre link – with no repeaters – running at 1.5 terabits per second over 10,000 km. The company says this is the first time that a single laser source has sent a terabit channel over such a distance. The lab setup achieved an aggregate of 4 Tbps by binding four “superchannels” together using …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Antidisestablishmentarianist

Capacity isn't the bottleneck in NZ it's price. More links are being added by different companies not to add needed capacity but to bring competition and lower prices. It'll be a long time before these sorts of speeds are needed down there.

2. E 2

"tyranny of distance"

What the hey are all those people doing out there in the south south-Pacific, acting like Europeans?!?!

Join Asia like God meant ya to!

3. Surreal
    Boffin

Ours is bigger.

It wasn't over anything like 10K kilometers, but we've recently documented a 19Tbps data transmission. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKE4HRsMBVE

1. Woodgie
      Go

That is truly awesome

I think I can implement that between floors in my building with minimal loss in bandwidth merely by sending larger packets!

4. Mage Silver badge

So

Given that a fibre cable in a duct is actually many of these 4Tbps fibres, that means one street cabinet with only a SINGLE cable could be equivalent to a Million Mobile phone masts.

1. Bob H
      Stop

There are about 5600 phone exchanges in the UK, I believe there are about 70-80 cabinets per exchange and that means 420,000 nodes. So, if a 4Tbit/sec link is desired that needs two ends, so 840000 adaptors. Assuming you could get the adaptors for £500 each (which is ridiculous because that is the cost of a 10G adaptor) then the cost could be £420m. But as the adaptors are likely to be well over £10,000 each that would actually be £8.4bn plus cabling...

5. Dazed and Confused
    Pirate

Yes, but ...

When can I have it as a home broadband service?

And how fast can I download Blurays @ 1Tb ? :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

1 Tb/s / 50GB =

About 2.5 dual layer discs per second.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yeah but No but

What about disk I/O ?

1. TeeCee Gold badge
          Joke

Easy. Just get a big drum of fibre and keep it going round in circles on there 'til you can stream it off........

6. Jock in a Frock
    Mushroom

Disk I/O ?

Never mind that, I need to hook it up to my 5-unit punch tape unit for permanent backup.

50bps FTW!

I work as an engineer for a major UK telco, commissioning DWDM systems, and even I find these number mind-boggling.

7. Babai
    Alien

FYI (only)

optical multi-tone generation -> multiple freq generation (for WDM)

large core -> large diameter of light carrying portion of optical fiber (generally single tone requires narrow core, and multi-tone requires wider core to propagate all wavelength properly)

ultra low-loss fiber -> usual

digital coherent detection -> receiver side reconstructs clock freq/phase from the incoming signal itself. So receiver would not require to generate a separate & discrete clock for synchronization.

digital equalization-> different wavelength gets attenuated differently based on its freq/wavelength. So equalization will make all wavelength with same amplitude (as for multi-tone signal)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like