back to article HDS joins string of disk floggers hiking drive prices

All mainstream disk array suppliers seem to be raising prices. Here's what Hitachi Data Systems, the latest one to do so, says: As with other companies in our industry, HDS has witnessed a global cost increase from hard disk drive (HDD) manufacturers due to the devastating floods in Thailand. To date, Hitachi has absorbed …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. pompurin

I bought two 2TB drives last summer for £48 brand new. I've been able to sell my used 1yr old 1TB drives on ebay for £60+. It's very rare for IT kit to go up in value.

1. Anonymous Coward 101
      Pirate

Speculator! Profiteer!

To the Gulag with you, kulak scum!

2. a_mu

look in the shops

did my twice yearly mull around the electronic shops at a big retail park this weekend, whilst the wife and daughter were doing there big shop.

noticed how few hard drives there are on the shelfs, and how many empty spaces on the shelfs there are.

glad I don't need a new hard drive soon.

3. stsr505089

Bleargh

I bought a couple of Samsung 500 Gb in Early September for a smidge short of £30 a pop. Today, same drive model, same supplier (Dabs) is a smidge short of £80 each..........

4. Captain Scarlet

External Drives

Still getting them cheaper by getting them as external drives and chucking away the outer casing, just don't have much choice on the vendor unless its sold by the vendor itself.

5. tekgun
    Stop

I guess no one told the retailers that Hitachi have not yet raised the price.

6. wilber

HDS not Hitachi

Don't confuse HDS with Hitachi.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: HDS not Hitachi

"Don't confuse HDS with Hitachi."

Don't confuse Hitachi Data Systems with Hitachi? Okay, if you say so....

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dell seem to be holding their prices

I got a requote on an Equallogic SAN array a few days ago and it was unchanged from a few months ago. Which either means they are generously absorbing the cost increase for now or we were being screwed months ago, lol!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Or it's old stock that they've not been able to shift.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like