back to article Google gives £550k to Bletchley Park

Google has donated over half a million pounds for restorations at Bletchley Park, the site which commemorates the birth of modern computing and the code-breakers who helped bring the Second World War to an end. Bletchley Park chiefs intend to use the cash to turn a crumbling hangar into a "world-class visitor centre and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Good for Google

Given the importance to code-breaking history, should MI5/6/insert number here not contribute. Or maybe they did but want to keep that secret (force of habit, presumably)

2. Fogcat
    Thumb Up

Great News

Great to hear there's some money going in at last. And as I've said before Bletchley is somewhere all geeks should want to visit.

1. jphb
      Happy

Bletchley Park

Great news that the future of Bletchley Park is now more secure.

But I hope restoration and conservation doesn't alter the overwhelming slightly "down-at-heel" 1940's period flavour of the place. Anybody at all interested in the history of computing should make every effort to visit it, and allow a full day.

I also hope the relationship between the National Museum of Computing and the Bletchley Park Trust can be clarified to the benefit of all concerned.

I particularly enjoy going to see the first computer I ever programmed on display rather than hidden and forgotten in a dusty museum store. They've even got a photograph of me standing in front of it 1961 - that's half a century ago.

Slightly off-topic, does anybody know why the movie "Enigma" which was set at Bletchley Park wasn't shot on location?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How much did Apple donate?

Just askin'.

1. chriswakey

Nothing.

They'll just wait till it's complete, claim they thought of it first and sue for infringment.

4. Rick Eastwood

It's important history guys !!!!

I think it's a national tragedy that Bletchley has been allowed to fall into such disrepair.

I suppose it came about because of the obsessive nature of the secrecy there that noone knew about the historical significance of the place.

Come on country, this should be saved for future generations. It will be classed as one of the most important historical places for years to come, not just because it shortened the war by conservatively two years probably more, but also created computing.

1. JohnMurray

Hmm

The country couldn't give a rats about heritage.

Look at Cardington Hangar 1.....in such a state of dilapidation that, if not demolished, will soon just fall down. Loads of promises to pay for repairs from the builders of the nearby housing estate....no action though.

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
        Stop

I think you'll find you're a little out of date. my understanding s that restoration is scheduled to be completed in 2012.

5. S Larti
    Boffin

Hang on...

Is it Bletchley Park or the national museum of computing getting this grant? Because when I visited the place just after they opened the Tunny room & we had a tour around the colossus related stuff it was made clear that the NMC is separate from BP and rather than getting funding from it has to pay for the space it occupies.

As is made clear here: http://www.tnmoc.org/about.aspx

6. Heidi Claire
    Thumb Up

BP

I grew up in Bletchley in the 70s/80s/90s... we had fun times climbing over the fence and necking Thunderbird wine in Bletchley Park. No one in the area had the slightest idea what had gone on there during WW2... to us it was just an office park owned by British Telecom.

7. Scott Earle
    WTF?

They have to get £1.7M before they then qualify for the big payout?

Was that the Nigerian national lottery fund, perchance?

8. readerindland
    Thumb Up

Will be useful to have up again...

if Britain gets kicked out of the EU.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like